Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Name: Phil
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3 MP215
  • Year: 2014

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi guys, I'm looking at buying an ST and I just have a couple of questions that the dealer couldn't really answer:

1) Are the front seats in the ST1 just standard Fiesta seats with no extra support on the sides? (this is what the dealer suggested) Are the ST2 seats much better?

2) Why isn't cruise control available as an option? (I've seen photos of STs with the controls on the wheel)

3) Does the ST1 / ST2 have auto wipers / auto headlights / auto folding mirrors? There doesn't seem to be an option for any of these.

Thanks in advance :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 Fiesta Titanium
  • Year: 2010

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

1) The seats are all the same - recaro sports seats. Only difference is the ST 2 has part leather seats.

2) Not an option on UK car's at the moment. Blame Ford for this.

3) Again, not an option.

#3 Phil 87

Phil 87

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, that's what I expected. It will probably be a few months before I buy the car, so maybe Ford will have come to their senses by then. Do they not realise there are motorways in the UK? You can't have a car costing nearly 20 grand without cruise control...

#4 MartynS

MartynS

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Name: Martyn
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

I thought the ST2 seats were full leather and heated too?  May be wrong though...  Surely the ST models should have the luxuries of the titanium, seems if you want nice things you can't buy the most expensive car, you have to buy a cheaper less powerful one.  Madness!

#5 666Damian666

666Damian666

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Name: Damian
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ZS Ecoboost - MP135 Coming soon

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

I thought the ST2 seats were full leather and heated too?  May be wrong though...  Surely the ST models should have the luxuries of the titanium, seems if you want nice things you can't buy the most expensive car, you have to buy a cheaper less powerful one.  Madness!

They are half leather

#6 Phil 87

Phil 87

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yes half leather and heated too. Another thing that annoys me is that EATC is only an option on the ST2. I'm sure I'll still love the car though even with no extras :)

#7 Electric_Orange

Electric_Orange

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Not really IMHO. The ST is the performance oriented model and therefore should opt to forego luxuries in exchange for motorsport influenced items like Recaro seats and harder suspension.

In-fact I think they should be braver and strip out some non-essentials like front fog lamps and A/C to save weight, maybe like a Renaultsport "Cup" version.

#8 JoeZS19

JoeZS19

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Name: Joe
  • Ford Model: zetec s mk7
  • Year: 2010

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Electric_Orange maybe that will be the fiesta RS ;)

#9 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Not really IMHO. The ST is the performance oriented model and therefore should opt to forego luxuries in exchange for motorsport influenced items like Recaro seats and harder suspension.

In-fact I think they should be braver and strip out some non-essentials like front fog lamps and A/C to save weight, maybe like a Renaultsport "Cup" version.

Agreed - all the junk just adds weight and at the end of the day, you don't need it and it detracts from the core driving experience - it all has a knock- on effect and if more and more gimmiks and gadgets are added it would need a heavier, more powerful alternator, further sapping the engine power - before you know it it would add another 1/2 a second onto the 0-60 and it would handle like a barge with all the extra weight!

The Ac on mine weighed 11kgs, and the (always rotatating) pulley 1.2kg, it made a significant difference to the heavy and torquy? diesel and it would probably make an even bigger difference to a higher- revving petrol

(even when the AC is switched off, the engine has to spin the 1.2kgs pulley and haul the extra 11kgs around all year long)

I can live without AC the two months of the year i need/ want it (especially with the advantages in performance, economy & reliability not having it has) but i know many people cannot live without AC - even in the UK

i think the more recent AC pumps/ systems are lighter, have a lower load (saps less engine power) than the older designs, but do not cool as well

Ford is just giving the people what they want (or what they think they want) or perhaps what they really want rather than what they think they want? - Ford once allowed the public to design a car - it was called the Edsel - one of the biggest flops in automotive history   

#10 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,516 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

These days people want performance but want their creature comforts too, and it's those comforts that sell to them masses really.

#11 cuke

cuke

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hi, agreed and modern A/C makes a very very small difference to the performancen and the mpg of a car. Weight saving is fine for a track car, which is what the Renaultsport Cup version are aimed at...

#12 Electric_Orange

Electric_Orange

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Maybe Ford is missing a trick? Perhaps the definition between ST1 and ST2 should be clearer marked as I would like to see an RS model but can't believe one is coming?

Maybe have the ST1 as a barebones track-hatch. Ditch the DAB audio, SYNC, Quickclear, A/C, Fog-lamps and MyKey (but make the style pack mandatory) and knock a £1000 off the list price.

Then possibly make the ST2 as the performance commuter cruiser where you simply add everything back on, give EATC and Sat-Nav as standard and then add £500 to the standard list price.

#13 Phil 87

Phil 87

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

I guess a lot of people would want a stripped out ST, but personally I want to be able to live with the car every day. After having cruise control and EATC in my Titanium I want them on my next car too. Personally I'd like to see even more options like radar guided cruise contol, lane following and parking sensors :) 

#14 MartynS

MartynS

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Name: Martyn
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

I see the point about having it just as a performance car without all the unnecessary items, but as has been said above if the car is used as a daily driver there are certain things that are nice to have on it.  For me having all these things come as standard is better, as when they're listed as options you'd be more likely to not choose them in favour of saving money (I know I would).  Extra 'models' could work though, keeping one as the stripped down version and the others with varying levels of luxury.

#15 Marcr1

Marcr1

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600
  • Year: 2012

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

In all honesty if Ford stripped out all the creature comforts they'd be massively reducing their market! 

Also realistically it would sell for around £15k at the least and for that amount of money you'd want air con, bluetooth etc. If you want a car that just goes around a track fast buy a radical or ariel atom :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users