Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust On Sportka

hula89

Probably been asked before but I'm looking at a SportKa to replace my girlfriends 02 standard ka.

It's got rust pretty bad and I am looking to know whether the SportKas are as prone to it or not?

The SportKa is only an 03 so isn't an awful lot newer its rust free at the moment though but want to know if that's likely to last. I had an 02 206 until a couple years ago and that didn't have any rust at all so know the age isn't necessarily a point really.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Like 1

Older fiesta's and Ka's used to get a bit rusty but the newer ones dont seem on the surface to be too bad, i live near the sea and there arent many fords around after 2001 that show any signs of rust what so ever even though the air is salty, my 04 fiesta has lived near the coast all its life even before i brought her and has no rust above and very little underneath except for a coating on the exhaust center pipe and parts that are constantly getting wet.

Older fiesta's and Ka's used to get a bit rusty but the newer ones dont seem on the surface to be too bad, i live near the sea and there arent many fords around after 2001 that show any signs of rust what so ever even though the air is salty, my 04 fiesta has lived near the coast all its life even before i brought her and has no rust above and very little underneath except for a coating on the exhaust center pipe and parts that are constantly getting wet.

So if its rust free now probably worth a look you'd say? Fair does. Just don't wanna replace one rust bucket with another near future rust bucket.

Thanks for the reply

Nothing will rust through in weeks or even months, just stick an arm under the sills and have a tap, look at the chassis rails under the bonnet for any severe rust, ignore a rusty exhaust underneath on a car of this age, and hopefully get a good little deal on it if its good in other ways.

Cool. Thanks for the help.

Have you made a move on the Ka yet?

Our SportKA was rusting pretty bad around the rear chassis mounts. It would have required welding by the next MOT which is a right git as the fuel tank has to come out and the brake lines. You need to get your head right under there to have a look between the mounts and the sills. If you get a clean one I suggest you give it a good going over with waxoil under the whole of the car.

I sold our quickly before it cost me any more money.

• 1 month later...

Streetka don't rust as bad as normal "hard top" ka's they don't rust around the petrol filler caps because streetka's have rear wheel arch liners so don't get the mud and !Removed! collecting in areas that are prone to rust, only real areas to look for is the bottom of the front inside wheel arches behind the front wheels, bottom of the sills and any exposed areas of the floor pan which can easily be seen by looking underneath

• 4 weeks later...

Have you made a move on the Ka yet?

Sorry about the late reply no she decided she didnt want it.

We have made a lot of changes since this post.

Shes now waiting on approval for finance on a 61 Plate Ka Edge in White and I am rejoining the club

I am trading my 207 in for a 2009 1.4 TDCi Fiesta. I'm so excited sick of the 207 Breaking down. I understand the diesels are peugeot/ford joint design but they are built in different places so pretty happy.