Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is There An Egr Blanking Guide?

marklord83

Lenny has done one for the Focus mk2 1.6 TDCI

I don't know how yours differs but if you post some pictures we may be able to help you with it -

And if you take pictures as you go along you could produce a guide for others to follow

• Like 1

Yeah sounds like a plan wud u you recommend doinh it? It 2 minds if I should or not.

Yup.

I cursed and threatened to scrap my car, because for my engine it was a true PITA job to do, having done it though, I am over the moon, MPG is greater, response is better, and I get less smog out the rear end!

Cool ill order a blanking plate, do u need to put the plate before the egr or after?

You put it in the EGR outlet at the engine:

So you have at the moment:

ENGINE BLOCK --- EGR

What you would be looking to do is insert the blanking plate like this ( || is the blanker)

ENGINE BLOCK -||-EGR.

Most plates have it written on them which side is up, engine side and EGR side, so this should help you.

• Like 1

Ive just read a couple of things on different forms that says you shouldn't blank a egr if u have a dpf, but my thinking is if u do have a dpf like me then wouldnt exhaust gases going threw the engine again do more harm than good?

To be honest there is a lot of misinterpretation on these things. The EGR valve is there to recirculate the exhaust gas once more, the exhaust temperature is hot, therefore hot gas entering the engine means its easier for the engine to compress with the diesel, theoretically its good. As for emissions, the EGR recirculating these gasses, means that the exhaust gets a second chance of burning off the nasty crud that would otherwise leave the system. The DPF removes further particulates that escape the recirculation process and cleans the rubbish to save the planet a bit more.

Blanking the EGR with a DPF is no big deal, you just need to make sure you give the car a chance to passively regenerate. For example, if like me, you have a 30 mile commute and a lot of motorway miles, it works (if I had a DPF) I could passively regenerate daily, but if I was driving 5 miles in town to the office, and then back, had a DPF and an EGR, then it wouldnt be so good, because the DPF would be capturing more of the cack, and not having a chance to break it down, in essence, that could cause the DPF to choke, and need early replacement.

lol, are you a short hopper or a long runner?

Short hopper but take it for a blast once every couple of weeks to clear dpf

shouldnt be too bad then to be honest, given that Lenny who wrote the guide, blanked his EGR ages ago, and he is just going for a DPF removal in a week or so, but he hasnt had any issues at all!

The reason I wamt to do it is cos at 1800 rpm -2000rpm if you're holding between them revs it tends to jitter and stutter which I think is down to the egr as its a common thing my dads work van has same engine and its brand new and it does it

shouldnt be too bad then to be honest, given that Lenny who wrote the guide, blanked his EGR ages ago, and he is just going for a DPF removal in a week or so, but he hasnt had any issues at all!

Yep 13th dpf internal removal,

Blanking the egr will help your dpf to passively clear without self regeneration,

You see by blanking the egr,

You increase the flow of gases going out the exhaust,

This increase in pressure spins the turbo faster and pushes harder through your dpf forcing any blockage through a bit harder so its all good,

My focus went be doing much long runs soon so the dpf internals are going.

It definitely helps, I found I used to have a brown spot on acceleration, at 50 in top gear, there was hesitation and a few bumps in acceleration, EGR blank stopped that and its a pleasure throughout the gears!

• Like 1

Cheers for the info mate I think ill do it and see how ow it goes for a couple of weeks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club