Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Location Of Maf Sensor And Icv On 1.6 Petrol

ZetecShearer1987

Hi

I am trying to find the location on the mass air flow sensor on my focus and also the idle control valve so i can clean them with some carb cleaner.

I cant seem to find the sensor as on previous cars i have had its normally right next to the air box.

Anyone got a picture and also is the icv easy to get to.

its for a mk2.5 focus 1.6 petrol engine 100bhp

The car has done 44k and i wanted to give them a bit of a clean

there is no icv valve on the focus now its all ecu controlled as for the maf leave well alone mate trust me they never need cleaned on these cars now and ive known people to end up with problems by touching and cleaning them if it aint broke dont fix it mate less hassle

• Like 1

Ok cheers for the advice

• Like 1

there is no icv valve on the focus now its all ecu controlled as for the maf leave well alone mate trust me they never need cleaned on these cars now and ive known people to end up with problems by touching and cleaning them if it aint broke dont fix it mate less hassle

So how does the ECU control the amount of air going into the engine?

So how does the ECU control the amount of air going into the engine?

Increase or reduce fuel to match the amount of air when required

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 with 1.4 and 1.6 Duratec (Sigma) engine do not have an Idle Air Control (IAC) valve or Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.

The amount of air going into the engine is calculated by the PCM using a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor which is mounted at the intake manifold. This MAP sensor measures the air density. Combined with outside air temperature and engine RPM the PCM calculates the amount of air going into the engine.

The idle control of this engine type is fully controlled by the PCM. The throtlle plate of the electronic throttle body can not fully close because it touches a springloaded adjustment screw. When idling the throttle plate is continuesly corrected by the electric throttle motor to obtain the correct RPM.

• Like 1

Artscot - i was just reading a post you did in 2010 about getting the PCM updated as it can smooth out an engine and solve idle issues. You had this done to your car and sounds like it worked a treat.

How do i check all of this and would my local ford dealer know straight away if it needs updating.

I ask this question as the issues i have are identical to what you had and yours corrected themselves after this update

Help ...took ford focus 1.6 petrol zetec 2005 plate to garage for new throttle position sensor ....AA said it needed changing ... Garage can't find its position in car ... Is it attached to throttle body ...large plate on side of throttle body ? as one garage were sent to put in car is only small ... Help please and pics if poss !

if the garage cant find it get another garage mate you cant really miss it to be honest a black box usually siemens on the throttle body like these post-8800-0-04539000-1383235470_thumb.jppost-8800-0-68073900-1383235470_thumb.jp

as for the pcm update you have to go to ford and pay for it what youve described to be honest sounds like every ford focus ive had or driven i dont think you actually have an issue they did correct for about 5 months then went back to normal a ford tech took the car for 2 days then gave me another car the other car was exactly the same a slight vibration at idle is caused by the ecu trying to find the right blance between fuel and emissions and as its constantly varying when the idle speed drops below 700 rpm theres a small shudder as the car realises its too low and it increases it its often said the idle speed should be about 800 rpm to even it out but its non adjustable and for emission reasons it is set at the determined value

Cheers for that ..the sensor they showed me looks like the pic on left but the actual sensor on throttle is different looks like a large plate is bolted to throttle and it's all one unit sensor and plate .? Car in garage so can't send pic.. Does that make sense. Mechanic says it's the sensor but is confused they sent him different one especially as they ordered it by my reg plate .

The throttle position sensor is an integrated part of the cover. It is not a seperate part. When the throttle position sensor is defective you have to replace the complete cover which contains the throttle posistion sensor and the seal.This cover is the only part of the throttle body which is sold seperately.

be careful removing the screws of the cover. The screws are secured with Loctite adhesive and break easily.

P2250284.jpg

P2250283.jpg

P2250298.jpg

That solves the riddle ...mechanic at garage said it would prob be inside the cover plate. Thanks for that and pics hopefully should be on road again soon ....will keep all posted as more info on all faults helps people to cure their problems . Seeing those pics it now makes sense ....cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club