Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Garage Service Price Comparisons

Jumper

Hi

I had a brows through the forum but could not find a subject relating to the vastly different service costs when looking around to service my two Fords.

Firstly this topic concerns only Ford Garages, not independent garages.

I recently had my wife's Fiesta 1.4 diesel booked into the local garage for its major service I was quoted a price which I thought was a bit steep. I phoned around other Ford garages in the area and was amazed that I could get the same service done for £90 less. I went back to the original Ford garage who has serviced my Fords in the past. only to have the service manager say that he would match the lower price and give me the service at £90 less than I had been quoted originally???

As a side note during this visit the customer in front of me was arguing about the cost of his service.

The Service manager did explain that their garage charged £100/HR labour and hinted that the other garages were probably charging less.

I consider £100 /Hour excessive in the extreme as the mechanics are probably paid less than £15 /Hr. I know they are in business to make money but this seem outrageous.

I have just within the last two weeks picked up my new car, a Mondeo Business Edition estate from Arnold Clark in Newcastle I mentioned the cost of servicing in my local garage and he looked at me as if I had two heads and gave me their service plan leaflet which gives a price which is half of which I am paying in the South of England. He could not understand how they get away with charging so much, and neither can I.

Lastly why is it that whatever Ford garage you go to they charge you more for a service for a car which is less than 42 months old?

OK comments please don't forget that this is only Ford dealers and there is two services normal and major service for it would seem up to 1800cc, 1801 to 2500cc, and 2501cc and above. My cars are diesel.

It would be nice to build a picture or map of what Ford garages are working with a fair price structure and which garages are fleecing their customers. I think if all the Ford owners had this information you would see a migration away from the more expensive garages.

Perhaps the Club site could provide a page indicating service prices at Ford dealers in the UK fed from the data provided by service receipts given by club members. What's your view.

Thanks for reading my drip.

Jumper

They are separate businesses at the end of the day and are only going to charge what they can get away with. The thing to do is shop around, as you have done. The advantage with Fords is that there are plenty of dealers to choose from. With other makes they really have you over a barrel because there are a lot fewer around. Incidentally I live two minutes from one of Arnold Clark's garages in Newcastle, but I wouldn't dream of getting my Fiesta serviced there as they are more expensive than a lot of the other local dealers!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club