Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Mk 2.5 Clunk/engine Mount/snapped Stud

lgr5

Hey All.

2008 MK 2.5 1.6TDCI (90) 86k Miles (Block changed at 71k w/ 26k Block)

Yesterday morning I hit some standing water at about 50mph (In the bottom of a dip), Car didnt stop and everything carried on as normal. Parked up at work for 10 hours, Returned to car and on moving off there was a loud "Clunk", got out and had a look round, couldnt see anything obvious. Replicated the noise by moving of moderate/fast speed, fast cornering also produced a noise similar to the tyre rubbing on something (they arn't). Driving properly produces no noise or clunk at all.

Had the car up this morning, can replicate noise by spinning wheels, noise coming from n/s drive shaft area. Checked brakes/roll bars/track rods/springs/shocks.

Believe I've found the culprit here;

post-40926-0-21509900-1402247150_thumb.j

Sadly, it looks like the stud has sheered off below the level that I could get anything on it to remove (I havent tried as I want to get parts before removing anything)

So, if anyone knows and would be so kind;

1. What is the part called/Part number for the bit that the stud goes in to?

2. How is said part attached? It looks like 3ish bolts but I have a feeling there may be more under the belt cover.

3. Is it wise/advised to change the actual mount as well as this part?

4. I think the actual clunk I'm hearing is, since the mount has snapped, there has been some movement and this is causing the drive shaft to move around on cornering/heavy driving. Will this sort itself when fixing the mount situation or will work be required on the drive shaft.

Cheers for any help!!

Oops! Can't help you with part numbers or anything.

You say block has been changed, I wonder if this stud has been over tightened and stressed... And eventually failed

Update:

This is now resolved, for information (google searches)

The part from ford is "6043 engine mount mounting bracket" which is £163 + vat, delivered next day, although they did offer 10% off if i waited for delivery (5-7 days)

Didn't fancy paying that SO

Theres 4 bolts to remove this part, no need to remove belt cover although reinstall would be easier if it was. Process was;

Remove power steering fluid tank (2 torx bolts)

Remove and cable tie up the expansion tank (this just pulled off the mounts with no bolts holding it in)

Support engine at the sump on jack with block of wood on top to spread weight.

Mark out engine mount position on wing.

Remove 2 bolts from engine mount.

Raise jack to take more engine weight.

Remove 2 nuts over the top of the bracket studs.

Raise engine so that the mount is around 1" of frame.

Remove mount from bay.

There are 4 bolts securing the bracket to the block, a long bar was needed to crack these off. Removed them very slowly as wary that the thread was part of the block so stripping them would of been a nightmare.

There was quite a lot of crap in the back of the bracket so I was careful to not let this drop onto the belt.

I paid a local engine rebuilders £30 to remove the snapped stud and re thread the bracket. All went back together fine (NB. there are 2 locators on the back of the bracket to make sure it goes back in straight) all thread locked and nipped up to respective torques.

how much did you pay for the replacement bolt?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club