Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With Clutch/gear

dlb1987

I have a Ford Focus 1..6 petrol 04 plate that has been in for an MOT and service (including oil changed etc.) in past week.

Today when driving back from town I noticed the gears getting increasingly stiff (when trying to move from 2nd to 3rd I had to physically use both hands behind the gear stick in order to get it to move). I also had to reverse to park and the car refused to come out of reverse. I had to stall the car to try and force it back into neutral. I also notice that when in 1st gear, and the clutch is pressed all the way down, the car still drives almost as though it is on the bite point.

Does anyone have any remedies or know what may be the problem? (i'm hoping it's not an expensive job)

check the fluid in the reservoir it's fed from the brake reservoir if its low top it up and press the clutch pedal lots if its got air in the system this sometimes gets it out as it normally just gets into the master cylinder. check for leaks under the car if there is fluid there suspect the slave cylinder (concentric bearing). Check in the car is there fluid on the floor around the pedal? this will be the master cylinder and is an easy fix/replacement the bearing on the other hand is gearbox out. If you bleed the system and the clutch action comes back keep the reservoir topped up you'll be ok for a while so long as you keep topping up :D :D :D

I had a mondy that did that just before the clutch failed. Slave cylinder, flywheel, release bearing, the whole lot went :s hope you get yours sorted soon

check the fluid in the reservoir it's fed from the brake reservoir if its low top it up and press the clutch pedal lots if its got air in the system this sometimes gets it out as it normally just gets into the master cylinder. check for leaks under the car if there is fluid there suspect the slave cylinder (concentric bearing). Check in the car is there fluid on the floor around the pedal? this will be the master cylinder and is an easy fix/replacement the bearing on the other hand is gearbox out. If you bleed the system and the clutch action comes back keep the reservoir topped up you'll be ok for a while so long as you keep topping up :D :D :D

Fluid in reservoir seems to be at the right levels.

Can't spot any internal or external leaks.

I noticed today that the clutch pedal was almost fully depressed without me putting any pressure on it, pulled it back up to normal height with back of my foot and since then it's been fine (technical I know). I'm not really sure what the problem is but booked it in to be looked at. Due to drive down to the Midlands soon and last thing I want is for the clutch to go on the M1

Sounds like the pedal return spring has broken or become detached.

that sounds like the master cylinder when the seal fails it lets fluid back into the reservoir so the pedal won't fully return. Liffting it up by hand as you have done sorts this out well done :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club