Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt?

slatez90

I was driving just about to turn right into a station when my car lost power and wouldn't move. My friend had to get out and push me into the station. I tried a few times turning the key but just wouldn't turn over. A mechanic came out to me to recover the car back to my house and had a quick look over and said it was the cam belt. I got to the cam belt and seemed like there was no damage, the belt was in good condition and the pulleys seemed ok. Any ideas?

Did you manage to inspect the full belt? If the belt is still intact and under tension it may be that it has lost some teeth.

If you can, get a spanner on the crank pulley bolt and see if the engine will turn by hand

I will try that when I get home. I did notice a couple of the teeth were missing. If it turns by hand what does that means if it doesn't turn by hand what does that mean. Thanks

It means that you had better stick your kidney on eBay....

If its lost teeth off the belt, then as its gone round the timing would have gone. It means your probably looking at damaged valves at best, damaged piston, and metal filings in the combustion chamber at worst...

As above, if it's missing teeth then the timing will have slipped. Your looking at a minimum of bent calves, how many and he extent of the damage will only be clear once the head is removed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club