Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Do You Let Your Engine Heat Up Before Travel? Poll

laumk7

Do you let your engine heat up before travelling anywhere?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your engine heat up (petrol or diesel) before travelling even the shortest distance?

• Always! It keeps the engine well lubricated
    • Never! No need with modern engines, it's a waste of petrol / diesel
    • Only if going a short distance
    • Only if going a long distance
    • Yes and I let it have a wind down after travel also
    • Other

We're debating this one at work at the moment and there seems to be two clear schools of thought on this one, though for the sake of this debate I've added a few more :P

I won't say what I do and why just yet as I don't want to been seen to influence the poll, but it'd be nice to see people's opinions on this and how long they've been running their particular cars this way

I run the car from ignition straight away but always let it warm up and circulate oil around the turbo properly before booting it.

It reduces wear'n'tear on the engine and protects the turbo.

I also let the car sit for a short while before shutting off as well again to protect the turbo.

• Like 2

Never really thought about it and usually too rushed to sit there waiting. When you say let the engine warm up, do you mean let it reach normal operating temperature? If so this can take 5-10 minutes, more in the winter! As above I don't usually boot it from start up though.

I run the car from ignition straight away but always let it warm up and circulate oil around the turbo properly before booting it.

It reduces wear'n'tear on the engine and protects the turbo.

I also let the car sit for a short while before shutting off as well again to protect the turbo.

Same here. Normal engine temp is 4 bars on the display, but I prefer to wait a few minutes after it reaches that before flooring it to be sure. And I always give it a minute to cool the turbo down, even after short journeys.

In this kind of weather it would take ages for an engine to fully warm up just sat idling, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's worse for the engine than just setting off and driving gently until it warms up.

Here's an example, when I went into Ford to have an early oil change I was talking to the service guy about engine wear etc, and he said they had a Fiesta in where they needed to take apart the engine for some reason. I think he said it had done about 60,000 miles, and the inside of the cylinders showed no wear at all. I think it just goes to show that modern engines don't need to be treated so carefully like a lot of people think.

I generally try and sit for a minute before moving off but quite often when going to work I just jump in and drive. I won't boot a cold engine (unless it's a rental :lol:) but I'm not fussed for any damage caused by it sitting idling or driving it straight away.

Same again for letting it idle before I switch it off. I do try to let it sit for a minute where possible but don't always. If I have been out driving the car hard I will definitely allow the engine to run for minute or two, I usually take the last few miles easy though.

I'm a firm believer of frequent oil changes using a quality oil more than I care about letting the engine heat up. Modern oils have come along way in reducing wear and keeping engines clean.

Interesting, thank you - keep the replies coming in

I never usually wait for the engine to heat up and drive off straight away, even on the coldest morning the wait is short but only for the heated windscreen to take effect lol, the engine hasn't usual got too much work to do as the first hill climb is 3-4 minutes away by which time the temp is getting there.

I live a 5-10 minute drive from work, but was getting some stick for not letting the engine heat up before setting off - I take my hours break at home, it's more relaxing as I live so close by.

I don't see the point of sitting idling as it's just a waste of fuel IMO. I've done this for years with all cars (I've never run a diesel - new or old fashioned), and none have 'protested' about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

In very cold weather your oil can be as thick as grease.

Giving it time to warm up and circulate better will be good for your engine.

I tend to sit and let the windows clear/gripe about the weather before mooching off. Rarely do I boot it straight away from cold.

Can't see how gentle driving will be noticeably worse than idling at cold. Certainly not whilst I intend to own the car

I let it warm up for a minute or so (or however long it takes to deice the windows/windscreen), and gently drive til up to middle temp.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

I generally kill it straight from cold. Being honest too, can't be bothered to wait around no need to warm up inside having heated seats and windscreen. Any issues with it in the next 2 years Ford can fix them for free for me.

Edited by stef123
Language

If the windows are frosted up then I will let mine run for a couple of minutes till the screen clears but other than that it's driven straight from cold. My usual commute to and from work start off slowly anyhow.

It doesn't get full welly until the oil temp is up to 1/4 on the gauge, the water temp always comes up first but getting the oil warm is also important.

'Full welly' is above 3K rpm, some days I can zip about quite briskly without even needing to go over that.

I just go from the start, has about 2 mins before it hits the motorway usually. To be honest wear and tear isn't an issue really as the car is under warranty.

If you plan on changing the car regularly (or if its a rental car) then you don't even need to think about it. I have done 100k miles and plan on keeping it for a few more years and so driving it sensibly from the start should mean I see the benefits now with less problems and worn out parts. I think its not just the engine, its the same for all mechanical parts - brakes, steering, suspension which will perform longer and better if not abused. Saying that when I had comnpany cars I raggged them to death and they still coped with 100k miles in 3 years, but I wounldn't have wanted to be the next owner buying it at auction!

I always start the car then open the gates move the car then close them so there's a minute or two there. Then I always drive gentle until the cars up to temp before I put my foot down. Generally 10mins until I hit the bypass by then it's warmed up and I can get up to speed and have a little fun. I think it's best to do this on any car I own rental cars Im not bothered I just go for from the off.

If the windows are frosted up then I will let mine run for a couple of minutes till the screen clears but other than that it's driven straight from cold. My usual commute to and from work start off slowly anyhow.

It doesn't get full welly until the oil temp is up to 1/4 on the gauge, the water temp always comes up first but getting the oil warm is also important.

'Full welly' is above 3K rpm, some days I can zip about quite briskly without even needing to go over that.

Where do you get the oil temp from? Temp gauge is coolant temp.

My ST has oil temp in the extra gauge pod on top of the dash ;)

Accuracy of this is open to question as the car doesn't have an oil temp sensor but calculates it from other sensor readings. Running the larger RS oil cooler too so there's good possibility it's reading slightly warmer than it actually is.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club