Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Tdci Loud Bang Now Wont Start - Help Please!

spence129

Hi All - new to the forum so go easy on me! :)

I have a 2005 Focus Estate 1.6 TDCi. It's done 90k and had no problems, passed MOT a couple of weeks ago.

The other day on the motorway I was doing about 80mph when it started decelerating - down to about 50mph, then there was a bang and all power to the car went and the engine cut out.

Fortunately I had recovery so was able to get home.

Now when I try to start all I get is a click - doesn't turn over or anything. Won't jump start just get the same.

The recovery guy didn't do any diagnostics just got it home.

Has anyone had anything similar? Can anyone suggest what this might be? I'm guesing quite serious becuase of what happened - just hoping the engine hasn't seized up! I haven't had much luck with Diesels!

Thanks in advance!!

I really think that someone is going to have a look at the car. A lot of things can make a bang - that, of itself, doesn't tell much. It could even be that something flew up from the road, and that made the bang, and has broken whatever it hit.

It seems that whatever happened, something has gone wrong with the starter or the wiring to it. The click is the starter relay working, but it doesn't result in the starter operating. That could be because it has been hit by something else which has broken - it probably isn't the starter itself that has been the original cause of the problem, but it could be, it is just too difficult to tell.

If the belt had gone you'd still hear it try and start.

Just a click, where from? Under the bonnet if so where. is it a relay clicking or the pre-engage starter motor trying to pull in, if the pre-engage starter doesnt pull fully in it wont try and start.

Unlikly senario, but if the starter tried to pull in while you were travelling at speed, then there would indeed be a loud bang as the starter and flywhell gear teeth would surely crash rather than mesh. This could mean that the starter motor is now damaged so the solenoid on it doesnt move so doesnt pull in enough to actually switch the starter motor on.

There is a prevention of this happening usually in that you are prevented from trying to start the car because of a mechamhical interlock in the key which usually means you have to return ten key to accessory or off, or there is an inhibit that senses the engine is running so wont allow the starter to operate.

Not if the valves are smashed against the pistons you wont hear it trying to start.

• Like 2

If the belt had gone and the valves had hit the pistons you'd still hear the pre-engage starter pull in and drop out, it would be a loud click and the dash lights would go seriously dim as the starter tried to turn a seized engine. I guess at 80mph and the belt went, there wont be much at the top of a piston anyway and the op doesnt mention the car ground to a halt with a lot of noise.

Would you agree?

If the belt had gone and the valves had hit the pistons you'd still hear the pre-engage starter pull in and drop out, it would be a loud click and the dash lights would go seriously dim as the starter tried to turn a seized engine. I guess at 80mph and the belt went, there wont be much at the top of a piston anyway and the op doesnt mention the car ground to a halt with a lot of noise.

Would you agree?

I agree with what your saying but for all we know, did the OP dip the clutch when this happened? perhaps the lights are dimming when he tries to start the engine.

there are so many details we just dont have or know to be fair.

I agree with what your saying but for all we know, did the OP dip the clutch when this happened? perhaps the lights are dimming when he tries to start the engine.

there are so many details we just dont have or know to be fair.

Indeed, we are pre-empting the answers here, which was why I asked where the clicking coming from, relay or pre-engage starter motor. Hopefully the op will reply and he can take it from there, unless he's been and paid for some advice. It could still be an expensive.

• Like 1

When my cambelt went in my old Clio (petrol) it just clicked, no attempt to start, or turnover or anything...

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

And what clicked, relay or starter motor and was the engine seized? Of course we only ask these questions because we dont have our hands on the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys forgot all about this as I was working day shifts after I posted it!

The engine had seized, not sure why, but got £600 for it on eBay so not the end of the world.

Looking at a C Max later - hopefully I have better luck with that!

hope you do but cmax have there fair share of problems

Oh really? Like what? looking through google the only thing I can find is the Electronic brake but in the pictures this has an actual handbrake?

Not going for a diesel this time.

hope you do but cmax have there fair share of problems

In fairness, name a car that doesn't

• Like 2

In fairness, name a car that doesn't

Vauxhalls? :lol:

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club