Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Gun Gum

laumk7

Bizarre question this, would gun gum or a similar motor exhaust gum work for sealing the flue on a wood / multi fuel burning stove? Reason I ask is every year we have to replace the fire cement as every year it's shrunk / fallen away leaving gaps (carbon monoxide etc). Last year we used a highly recommended fire cement, which has stayed in place - but shrunk, so after that's been chiseled off we wonder what to use next...

Anyone done it? Would it work? Surely the temperatures exhausts reach is going to be similar to that stove flues reach :unsure:

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

How hot does it get roughly? I find exhaust putty pretty crap at it's named task tbh and always used red silicone for exhausts and it's always sealed them perfectly, none of the last a lifetime but the red stuff usually get's you about a years worth.

Also I'd try and find out from your house insurance if they would permit this, just in the event of any related claim an inspector would find it almost instantly and it could cause a refusal to pay out etc, EG Bodged repairs and unqualified etc.

But I've used red silicone on Cat to Centre pipe joins without issue, generally a good few hundred degrees at that point. also it remains flexible, whereas the putty stuff just goes hard and when the metal expands it just brakes away which is the issue you are most likely getting.

I would call a fire/stove supplier and ask what their installers use. I find most places are happy to help with questions like that. I would also have good carbon monoxide detectors in the room and rooms the flue runs through if you havent already just to be on the safe side.:)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club