Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Exhaust Back Box Knocking On Suspensionh

Hi, took my Fiesta ST mk6 into the garage yesterday thinking the exhaust was hanging a bit low and for a couple of other little jobs. The garage called and said that they had sorted the other little bits and confirmed that the exhaust was hanging low and needed new mount(s). He also said that the back box ideally needed replacing as it was rusty but it wasn't urgent, I decided to just let them do it to save me having to take the car back later on.

Anyway, collected it and was driving home with the radio on at first, switched the radio off after a while and started hearing a knocking. Got home and kicked the exhaust very gently (couldn't touch it as it was hot) looked underneath and it looks as though it's hitting the suspension spring. I don't think my old back box ever did this and the new one is supposed to be exactly the same. I've been taking my cars to this garage for a couple of years now and the work they've done has always been good.

I could do with some advice, should I call them up and ask them about it? Has anybody else ever had this problem? Any help would be appreciated, sorry this has been long-winded.

Is the back box the same size & shape ?

Rubber hangers in need of adjustment ?

Edited by MONDEO TXS 2.2

Sometimes its down to poor fitment by the mechanic but sometimes with aftermarket exhausts they can be a real pain to fit properly!

Take it back to them and let them know.

I assume the back box is the same as the old one, I asked for a standard ST one as I don't want to have to tell my insurer that there are modifications on the car.

I checked again earlier and it doesn't look like its touching the springs or any other part of the suspension. Cant see what its actually knocking against.

Bit nervous about taking it back to the garage, have never taken a car back before, hope they don't charge me again. Like I said earlier, I've been taking my cars there for a couple of years and they have never let me down yet.

Take it back, explain your concerns. I am sure that they will treat you as a valued customer and adjust where necessary. As it is an issue created by themselves, it is doubtful they will charge.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club