Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus 2002 no heaters! and other issues!

Jordan99

Hi guys, I've not long brought my 2002 focus 3 dr. just ironing out a few problems with it. one being the interior heaters. they dont work on setting 1, 2, 3 or 4. nothing at all. I've checked all the fuses, they're fine. I've replaced the heater resistor behind the glove box, still nothing. What else could it be? Also, how do I adjust the revs? They're sitting slightly to low, the car vibrates a little too much for me when idling. If i put a tiny bit of gas on and i do mean a tiny bit, it fine. and finally (so far anyway) the drivers door speaker is quiet, work but quiet. i think they've been upgraded at some point in their life. I know its no wiring issue behind the head unit as i changed that myself. to save me looking myself, how do i change a bulb in the rear light cluster? at a glance i cant see any clips to take the back cover off, I'm most probably being blind though! Thanks for any help guys!

answered this before the fan resistor needs replaced if you google it you'll find plenty pics idle can't be adjusted so its either idle control valve or the ecu needs an update to fix the idle rear light just pops off the lens speaker requires the door card to be removed to get access

• Like 1

I'm not sure but there could be a relay as well if there is I would change that too

I believe there is a relay in the fuse no in the engine bay but how do you test if a relay is broken or not? 

7 hours ago, Jordan99 said:

how do you test if a relay is broken or not?

As long as it is a basic relay, and not some electronic gizmo, you just need a multimeter. (DMM).

Remove it, put the DMM on Resistance, and probe various pairs of terminals to locate the coil, which will have a resistance between 100 ohms and 2 kohm. Now probe the rest of the terminals to locate any very low resistances (Normally closed contacts).

Next stage is to power it up, but there is one problem: Some relays contain a diode, and applying the wrong polarity would wreck it. If you do not have a current limited power supply handy, then find the smallest 12v bulb you can (number plate, interior light, etc), and connect one coil terminal to car body, the other terminal to the bulb, and the other end of the bulb to the battery positive. (carefully!) If the bulb lights at near normal brightness, that is the Wrong way! Try the other way.

Having established polarity (most relays are not polarity sensitive), then power the coil from the battery without the bulb, and probe the other terminals again to find the low resistance ones. (Normally open contacts). All the previous normally closed contacts should now be open. Often one terminal will be common to a NC/NO pair.

Example: An eight pin relay will have two coil pins, and may have two changeover contacts (NC/NO pairs with a common pin) with 3 pins each.

There may be a schematic of the relay on the case or in the fusebox, which will simplify the process.

If possible, do not use the battery directly. If you have an adapter for a power socket (cigar lighter type), use that. Then a short circuit will only blow a fuse, rather than melting wires and causing a fire! A battery charger could also be used.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, sorry for the slow reply. The problem is now fixed! I took the motor out to find the spinning it by hand was difficult. Either the bearing weregone or i had seized. Easy and cheap fix costing only £25 for my local ford breakers! thanks everyone. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club