Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 2.0 tdci 140 limp mode

adyrfc

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice please. I'm baffled and my local garage seems to be too. .

I'll try keep it short. I got a new downpipe (not genuine ford) fitted. Almost straight away, I was getting random clouds of smoke coming from under the bonnet when stopped at traffic lights or whatever. I also had an engine malfunction message on the convers+ with EML on. A quick switch off and restart cured it for a while. The car would still function as it should though. Then I went into another garage to solve the smoke problem and they said the downpipe that was on the car didn't fit properly and it was leaking. I know that is true, coz it can easily be heard while driving it. The garage tried to seal it as best they could as a short term fix until I could get a new downpipe fitted. About 100 yards after leaving the garage, I got another engine malfunction with EML. I was surprised, as the car felt and sounded much better. The hissing noise under acceleration was minimal. Anyway, I used my iCarsoft gadget to clear the DTC and the car ran fine for the rest of that day. The next time I used the car, going to work, the engine malfunction message and EML appeared again and put the car into limp mode. Every time I cleared the DTC code after that, it would instantly re-appear again, putting the car into limp mode. I went to and from work for 2 weeks in limp mode while I sourced a 2nd hand downpipe (all I could afford). Today, it got fitted and yet the same situation keeps occurring. The garage tried everything with their diagnostic thingy from a regeneration (which they said didn't seem right as the revs were far too low for a regen) to telling the ecu to relearn things. The relearn thing seemed to work and off I went. About 200 yards later, I was back in limp mode with the same results after every DTC delete. All the DTC's are DPF related.

If you have any knowledge regarding this issue, could you please pass it on, as I'm at my wits end with it. I can't afford to throw money at it for people to "try" this and that. What's the best way to go about getting it fixed?

Thanks.

either you or your garage should check the dpf pressure sensor hoses for splits/deterioation at the exhaust, also to check they are fitted the right way round to the pipes on exhaust if they had to remove them to fit exhaust section that you mention

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

either you or your garage should check the dpf pressure sensor hoses for splits/deterioation at the exhaust, also to check they are fitted the right way round to the pipes on exhaust if they had to remove them to fit exhaust section that you mention

I would not know how to check them. I don't even know what they look like. All I know is that since the latest part was fitted, there is no hint of any leaks. I'm starting to wonder if the first garage that put the first downpipe on it has done what you said and the second garage has put them back on the way they came off, which could be the wrong way. I'll certainly chase that up and at least eliminate it. The mechanic today was a bit baffled as after he cleared the DTC's and took it a run, it came up with completely different DTC's, although still DPF related.

I'm baffled, the garage is baffled and the ECU seems to be on drugs or something. Mechanic thinks I may need to go to a sparky, but I can't understand why. All this has stemmed almost from the second I got a new downpipe. After getting the first downpipe put on, they said a wire was broke on the lambda sensor. It wasn't broke before I went to them. Afterwards, it was a regular EML, which cleared no probs and had no effect. The second hand downpipe fitted today (with sensors) has had no lambda sensor faults.

Can you show me a picture of the pressure sensor hoses, or where to find them? It's definitely worth a shot changing them round. The way things have went so far, anything is possible. 

why did you have downpipe replaced first of all? , and what age is your car?

and what dtcs are coming up now?

the pipes are right next to the flange where downpipe fits the dpf .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, iantt said:

why did you have downpipe replaced first of all? , and what age is your car?

and what dtcs are coming up now?

My car is a 2008 140. I needed a new middle section on the exhaust. During that being fitted, it was noticed that there was a split at the flexi. I bought a new downpipe from carparts4less and that was fitted a week later. Almost instantly, I had issues with smoke from under the bonnet. It's never been right since. 

I don't know the exact DTC  codes that are coming up now. My reader says codes are not in the database, but the garage codes were DPF related and after he took it for a drive, different codes were showing. He seemed quite baffled by it. At one point, when I checked for codes myself, I got a random front left ABS code. It's like it's just throwing up random codes for fun.

Oh, just thought of another new thing it is doing. After I left the garage today and the EML came on, I cleared the codes. Then when I tried to start it, The immobiliser kicked in and it died. After the faults showed up again, it started no bother. Still in limp mode though.

ok, on the downpipe is the pre dpf temp sensor and not lambda sensor, may be thats been damaged on fitting 2nd dowpipe, or they have disturbed the pipes that could have deteriorated and now not detecting the pressure.

15 minutes ago, iantt said:

ok, on the downpipe is the pre dpf temp sensor and not lambda sensor, may be thats been damaged on fitting 2nd dowpipe, or they have disturbed the pipes that could have deteriorated and now not detecting the pressure.

He did say to bring it back next week if problems returned. He wants to do another regen in that case, but I'm not convinced that is the prob.2 different downpipes with the exact same issues is unlikely imo. Something is wrong related to the downpipe job, but not the actual downpipe itself. That's how I'm starting to see it anyway. It makes sense in my head.

ok, its the rubber dpf hoses that need loooking at then. nothing much else that can be disturbed.

would have been usefull to know what the dpf dtcs were though.

1 minute ago, iantt said:

ok, its the rubber dpf hoses that need loooking at then. nothing much else that can be disturbed.

Thanks mate. I'll be going back in next week demanding it gets sorted and I will be pointing that out as a possible cause. TBF, the garage that fitted the downpipe today are brilliant. They have MOT'd my cars for a good few years now. I got my first downpipe  fitted by someone else as I was out of work and got offered a good price to get it done on the cheap. My advice to anyone looking in is, DON'T go for the cheap option where things like this are concerned. If it needs to be done, then get it done right!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iantt said:

would have been usefull to know what the dpf dtcs were though.

Mate, whatever DTC codes you know of regarding the DPF, then that is what I got. They were random, but whatever they were, they just won't go away. If I went out and read the DTC's right now, it would come up with a random number between 2 & 6. Maybe 1 code would say something unrelated, but the rest don't register on my reader.