Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Convers+ with Android Head Unit

Thintin

Hi.

I'm looking for some help regarding the functions available via the steering wheel on my Mondeo MK4. I've read numerous threads that touch on this topic but I haven't found any definitive answers so I thought It would be worth starting a specific one here.

Background
I replaced the original Sony 6 CD Head Unit with an Auto-Pumpkin (MTCC RK3188 KLD6 V2.91) which has an external CAN bus decoder.

What works (the left steering wheel button array):-

• Volume Up/Down
  • Track next/previous
  • Function button to cycle between AM/FM Radio, DVD, AV-IN, Video, Audio App

What doesn't work (the right steering wheel button array and indicator stick additional functions):-

• Ability to select mobile phone options (answer/end calls, call list, address book)
  • Voice commands button

I never used the voice controls so that's no great loss, but I did use the mobile phone controls often, so would like to explore the options of regaining them.

I am aware that varying levels of CAN bus functionality can be achieved by selecting different configurations from the settings menu on the head unit, and some people have even re-wired for improved function but not on a MK4 Mondeo (that I can find via google).

I'm assuming the phone issue is CAN bus related because when I select any function that is based on the SoM (DVD, FM Radio, Video in etc) the Convers+ shows more options, including phone (although it is greyed-out - I'm assuming because no phone is paired). I also noticed that the Ford bluetooth module is still active as it shows up, but only when this menu is available. Unfortunately I can't connect to it because the Android HU doesn't display the PIN for pairing like the original Sony HU did.

This is a picture of the Convers+ when the Android HU is operating with only Android apps running (e.g. DAB tuner, Rocket Player)

DSC_0004.jpg

This is picture of the same Convers+ when any of the SoM apps are running (DVD, FM Radio, Video in etc)

DSC_0001.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that the CAN bus controller activates only when one of the SoM apps are running? I only understand the basics of CAN bus and how it interacts with the HU so this is very much a wild guess.

What I would like is to have my phone controls available via steering wheel buttons, in whatever way that is possible.

Any help, advice or suggestions are, as always, greatly appreciated.

p.s. these are the HU details
DSC_0591.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club