Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traction control Light + loss of power at 1800rpm

installer2009

Hi Guys, i have recently starterd to experience problems with my 2011 1.6tdci focus mk2

once it hits approx 1800rpm the traction control light comes on and the engine will not rev any higher,

any ideas what might be causing this, i suspect a wheel speed sensor but the abs light is not coming on.

15 hours ago, installer2009 said:

the traction control light comes on

There must be DTCs (error codes) linked to this, but a normal OBD2 scanner will not probe the ABS/ESP/Traction control system.

You need a powerful Ford specific system, like Forscan. Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available).  You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. Post here if you want more info. James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

For an ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

The Forscan programme is free and you can get it from
http://forscan.org/download.html

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

This system should be able to narrow it down to the individual wheel if it is a wheel sensor.

• Like 1

Wow what a reply thankyou TDCI Peter, I am gonna order an ELM adapter today and dowmload the forscan software.

I'll let you know how I get on.

regards.

Adrian.

• Like 1

Just an update here guys, this happened around the same time that I changed the 2 front tyre's I know what year thinking.. that wouldn't cause this or maybe a wheel speed sensor got disturbed etc, but believe it or not the 4 tyres that were on the car were too big in diameter, thry were 60's when I changed the 2 fronts, I put back on 55's leaving the 2 good rears as is, my thought is could it be the difference in sizes be causing the front and rear wheels to be rotating at different speeds and tricking the traction control module into thinking that there is a traction problem?

21 minutes ago, installer2009 said:

my thought is could it be the difference in sizes be causing the front and rear wheels to be rotating at different speeds

Sounds very reasonable to me. Just a low tyre pressure can cause an error.

The speed difference will be proportional to road speed. If Forscan can log the wheel speeds on your car, you should be able to measure the size of the effect.

You could try dropping the pressure of the back tyres to a very low value, for a brief trial. (High speed for more than a minute or so will overheat low pressure tyres, as I expect you know).

Annoyingly expensive if it means two good tyres have to be changed, so it is worth testing beforehand.

Indeed Peter, I did have an abs light come on though a few weeks ago along with the tc light, I put it on autosafe diagnostics pc and as you mentioned earlier I couldn't access any tc module etc, the guy selling it on eBay made it out to be the mutts nuts of obd2 diagnostics but I dont find it much use at all. I didnt notice any drop in power though at that time and this maybe too much of a coincidence also my current problem is intermittant as it was ok on Monday but back again on Tuesday, when I get my ELM adapter i will do live data capture and see what comes up.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

generally speaking, the traction control light comes on when the injectors have been affected.

Did my guide help you out at all?

Hi Jeebowhite, it will be of great use when i get the adapter, havent got it yet, just about to order it now. I'll keep ye posted.

Good luck hopefully a nice straight answer and fix is ahead

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Heres hoping, just ordered adapter anyhow., i also ordered a replacement interior mirror and rain sensor as they are missing from my tdci sport, do you know anything about fitting those?

Mirror should be a ball joint unless your replacing the attachment to the windscreen.

As for the rain sensor, the sports don't have those by default anyway so unless they use the same loom, you may find an connection otherwise you may not. On a plus side the modified elm cable (as long as it's 500,000kbps you should also be able to configure the ecu as well, so long as it all wires up right.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hi Jeebowhite, ya read somewwhere that the looms are the same, I THINK THE SPORTS DID COME WITH THE AUTO LIGHTS AND WIPERS, ooops caps sorry..cos the switch is on the dash and the scroll wheel for the wipers doesnt control the intermittant speed, so i assume its for the sensitivity of the auto wipeers. I am going to replace my windscreen soon and do you know if the new windscreen will have the attachment on it, if not where can i buy a new one?

Also I ordered the ELM cable from the link tdci peter posted but it hasn't arrived yet, over a week now..

1 hour ago, installer2009 said:

I ordered the ELM cable from the link tdci peter posted but it hasn't arrived yet, over a week now..

Bit slow.

Have you checked your bank account or Paypal details to see if the order got through?

Worth contacting them. It could be they have run out, and have to get another batch in. They are being recommended in various places on this site & others, perhaps demand is outstripping supply!

received it this morning, just about to check codes..

i'll let ye know..

• Like 1

no error codes for the ABS/ESP module, but on live data, it puts on the dash light and kicks back the power when the 2 front wheels spin 4km/h faster than the rear wheels, this leads me to believe my original diagnosis is correct, ie front tyres smaller diameter than rear, spin faster, traction control thinks its a loss of traction and kicks back the power, no codes cos it's not a fault, expected behaviour.

There are however lots of RCM faults, belt tensioners, airbags fired etc, high resistance on wiring, even noticed that the airbag warning light bulb has been removed from the dash.

whoever repaired this car was a cowboy of the highest order.

Also it comes up failed to read rain sensor so it was obviously there when  new.

I got replacement mirror and sensor second hand just need a step by step fitting tut now.

23 minutes ago, installer2009 said:

There are however lots of RCM faults, belt tensioners, airbags fired etc, high resistance on wiring, even noticed that the airbag warning light bulb has been removed from the dash.

whoever repaired this car was a cowboy of the highest order.

No shortage of Cowboys about, unfortunately!

It is probably a benefit, really to know about that. I have survived many years of being in cars with no airbags, but being in one which claims to have them, but in fact does not, that is not good. Having disabled the indicator is the act of a criminal cowboy. I assume that it fails to light when switching on the ignition.

If you had sold the car as a going concern (as one with an airbag system), and that fault was discovered, it could have been you ending up in trouble, unless you could prove it was not you, and even then there would be a cost. If the dealer you bought the car from is still in business, I think some sort of claim might be in order. With a dangerous and deliberate fault like that, warranty expiry is irrelevant, I would say.

Re rain sensor, I know very little about that. I would look inside the front light fitting (it pulls out fairly easily), for the connector. Should be 3 pins, with GN-BK, WE-GN & BK-GN wires. Re fitting, I half suspect it needs the right sort of windscreen, I suspect yours may have been replaced (connected to the air bag incident?). There is some info in:

& a guide in: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=615032

Great result with the Forscan Wheel speed readings, it obviously all worked ok for you smile.png

• Like 1

hey tdci peter ya thanks for the reply, I guess i'm just gonna have to add the airbag problems to my repair list lol...

need to sort out a new windscreen next, then investigate airbag probs.

i almost wish someone would nick it and set it on fire lol

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I had a similar problem on my 2008 smax 2.0tdci, engine malfunction, limp mode a traction light intermittent, it turned out the part worn tyres i had fitted to the front were poorly balanced, causing all the issues once a good balance and alignment had been completed the car has improved and no error messages!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club