Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Private reg question.

Fraser.

Hi guys.

I've got a private reg I'm going to put on my fiesta, however I'm assuming I need to put the current reg on retention for when I sell the fiesta.

If I don't put the current reg on retention would I have to buy another standard '59' plate when I came to sell the car?

Cheers guys.

i believe that the reg that you will be replacing (the 59 one) remains reserved for the car, and then when you take the private plate off the original plate goes back on the car, so no i'm pretty sure you don't have to put the original plate on retention

You do not have to put the old plate onto retention unless that has some significance to you and you want to be able to transfer it again in the future. Assigning a new registration without retaining the original one will make it void and non-transferable in the future. It will usually be assigned back to the car when you transfer your private registration again, however, you will no longer be able to move the "original" registration onto another car. If, for what ever reason, the original could not be assigned to your Fiesta again, the DVLA will issue an appropriate age related number plate to your vehicle. That vehicle can however have another private registration assigned to it with the 'original' registration being withheld again by the DVLA.

Recently, I bought my second registration, but in order to make sure that my old private registration was not lost and therefore I couldn't sell it on again, had to pay £105 to retain it!

Hope this helps, if you've got any more queries on personal registrations, I will try and help you as I know a fair bit about them.

I've had my private reg on my last 3 cars and the dealers have organised everything for the £80 fee (which you would have to pay anyway) The second car was registered with an original plate which was then switched a couple of weeks later. The 1st and this car, however, were both registered with my private plate. When I come to sell this one, the DVLA will assign it an 09 plate.

The dealer did suggest putting my private plate on retention and putting the original 56 plates back on the Ka that was being traded in, but I hadn't kept them and I didn't really want to pay £30 or so to have a new set of plates made up.

Don't know if that helps? :rolleyes:

I think the bf is planning on buying me a personal plate for my birthday (about the time that the current 59 plate's become the 'old' ones)

Whats the view on if I cange the plate slightly to read PG0 4 SFO - reckon I would get away with it?

Whats the view on if I cange the plate slightly to read PG0 4 SFO - reckon I would get away with it?

tricky thing now is finding someone that will actually make you a plate like that. they are clamping down on manufacturers making such plates and they can get done for it as well as you.

Thanks for the help guys.

It's a tricky one with regards to spacing, can easily get a plate made up at any of the "show" plate websites. I'd guess that as long as it was only slightly altered spacing, you used standard letters/font, and didnt use number plate fastners etc. to make letters look like other letters then most police would turn a blind eye.

Thanks for the help guys.

It's a tricky one with regards to spacing, can easily get a plate made up at any of the "show" plate websites. I'd guess that as long as it was only slightly altered spacing, you used standard letters/font, and didnt use number plate fastners etc. to make letters look like other letters then most police would turn a blind eye.

Not true at all I'm afraid, most police will be on the lookout for illegally spaced and misrepresented plates now becasue of the fact they can cause difficulty for the ANPR systems. Also, DVLA can remove the right to display any private registration so IMO, it's not worth it to risk it. And just for the fact that pporly spaced and altered lettering number plates just look cr@p is enough of a reason not to mess about with them lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well he has admitted that he has brought me one for Xmas - S27 PGO

(S = his intial,

27 = his DoB

and PGO = my initials)

Hi guys.

I've got a private reg I'm going to put on my fiesta, however I'm assuming I need to put the current reg on retention for when I sell the fiesta.

If I don't put the current reg on retention would I have to buy another standard '59' plate when I came to sell the car?

Cheers guys.

As previous NO is the answer to both questions.

You only pay for the personal plate

the DVLA will sort out the old and future replacement number.

and don’t throw your current number plates away as there as a fair chance the car will be given the same number if you decide to sell and move your personal plate over to your next (future car) –that way it will save you having to buy a new set. :)

Paul – altering number plates is a bit of a no no since APR cameras came on the scene, you may get away with it but is it really worth the worry? :blink:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club