Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 Titanium - Change Ambient Lighting to Titanium X multi colour?

tedted22

Hi All

I have 2012 UK Focus MK3 Titanium and I'm looking in to what is required to change the interior Ambient Lighting to the multi-colour option you get with the Titanium X.

At present I do have the ambient lighting but it's the fixed red colours. I have foot well, front door storage and handle area along with the cup holder area lighting up in red.

I've checked the wiring to the foot well and there is a cable with 3 wires going in to the current red LED, but the LED board only makes use of two of them. So I was wondering if it's the same wiring?

I am aware I will need to purchase the new multi colour LED's from Ford and also the Titanium X control module near the interior sunglasses holder to the attached image (I just have a blanking plate in mine)

Is there anything else required?

Has anyone tried?

Thank you kindly.

J

s-l500.jpg

I don't think you will be able to do it.

On the 2012, it needs a separate module, all new LED modules and possibly even a different BCM (or at least re-programmed).

The wiring going up the A-pillar might be different too. As the basic ambient lighting is driven from the BCM, whereas the multicolour is communicated over LIN to the ambient lighting module.

Some parts of the loom are the same.

Door modules also need re-programming and/or replacing.

• Like 1

Understood, thanks. I believe the new control module is actually part of that new piece I would have to install near the sunglasses (as in my attachment). See this attachment - is that the module or something else? I appreciate I would need to change all the LED's to be multi-colour equivalents too, and set the Ambient to multi-colour within FoCCCus software so the car knows it has that set up.

Do you have any diagrams/info about the wiring? How can I check if it's the same? I assume the multi colour LEDs use 3 wires whereas the RED LED just uses 2, and I have 3 wires in the foot well connectors at least.

Thanks

s-l500 (1).jpg

That does look like the module yes, but the problem is that with the fixed colour ambient lighting, the power for the LEDs comes from the BCM. Whereas with multicolour it is that module which provides the power.

So the wires going up to that part are power, not signal.

I don't know if you'll need a whole new BCM and A pillar loom to support getting the LIN signal to that module.

I presume Ford would know, but also charge a large amount. Would they supply the wiring kit and let me self-install, or demand they did it?

Anyone have ETIS/ECAT to check the difference between Titanium and X?

The problem is speaking to someone who actually knows what they are talking about and most dealers part of a big group won't give it the time of day.

I spent a long time with the chief tech at my local independent working out the system.

Honestly the cost of doing it probably makes it cheaper to change the car.

You are better off turning off the built in ambient lighting and wiring up your own imo.

If I were to go down my own route, could the existing wiring be used to connect to some 12v led strips and just tap in to the wires, or will it need regulating etc?

Thanks

I'd check the voltage, but it should be safe to use, just don't draw too much from them.

If you just want to change the colour and are handy with soldering on a PCB you could just change the SMDs to a different colour.

• 6 months later...

So the standard single colour doesnt use the ambient module and instead recieves its power from the bcm unit. Which may have to be enabled. I have a zetec s and have located the plugs for the footwell lights but at the moment there is no power on them.

correct, needs switching on via central car configuration .

Just FYI, for anyone else finding this thread, Ford changed the way the ambient lights were powered in the MK3.5 facelift.

On the MK3 the standard red lights are powered by the BCM so you might be able to just switch them on in central config if you have the cables present.

On the MK3.5 both the standard red and multi colour ambient lights are fed of a separate lighting module. If your car wasn't built with any ambient lighting then even if you have the LED connectors, the loom going up the a pillar is wrong and the module is missing, so it won't just turn on with central config.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

If I want to change these LEDs to blue to match the dash has anyone found some good LEDs that fit ?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a 2018 Kuga titanium with sync3 colour changing ambient lighting. I have spilt a drink of coke in the cup holder which has blown the power module. The car is still within warranty and ford want nearly £400 to replace this, can anybody advice what part is required and the location of the power module?
Many thanks

Sean  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club