Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Do I need to replace my curbed tyre?

Jawz

I was parking my car half on the corsey edge and misstimed and caught the incline.

Car mad a bit of a bang and caught me by surprise as it scratched a bit of my alloy. 

Peeling the scuffed area back looks as though it has pulled away possibly a protective bit of rubber to the tyre (im no expert) anyways. Would you suggest that this needs replacing or is it just damaged protective rubber?

Please advise and if i need to will have to arrange to have it changed. Also do I have to change them in pairs?

Thanks in advance.

20161215_090251_001.jpg

Any sidewall damage is an MoT failure so I would recommend replacement.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Depends if you can see through to the cords or not.  If you peel the cut back and can only see rubber, then it could still pass an MOT.  We had a cut like that on the N/S/F tyre of our old Fiesta for a couple of years and it passed two MOTs, then eventually failed because of tread depth, but not sidewall damage.  Mind you, Clive may well be correct and our garage was just too lenient. 

If you do replace it though, and the other tyre on that axle isn't new/almost new, you should really replace that one as well, so that both tyres are at the same stage of wear.  Having one worn and one new tyre on the same axle (especially the front) can be just as dangerous as driving with a damaged tyre.

You may need to have the wheel rim checked for damage as well  

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Depends if you can see through to the cords or not.  If you peel the cut back and can only see rubber, then it could still pass an MOT.  We had a cut like that on the N/S/F tyre of our old Fiesta for a couple of years and it passed two MOTs, then eventually failed because of tread depth, but not sidewall damage.  Mind you, Clive may well be correct and our garage was just too lenient. 

If you do replace it though, and the other tyre on that axle isn't new/almost new, you should really replace that one as well, so that both tyres are at the same stage of wear.  Having one worn and one new tyre on the same axle (especially the front) can be just as dangerous as driving with a damaged tyre.

When I peel it back I only see rubber. It looks like an extra piece of rubber attached to the tyre inside. If that makes sense. Like its made a bit thicker to protect my wheels because they are low profile.

The girlfriend is taking her car into Motosave for a few things doing on her Fista Zetec (Handbrake, Bearing and tyre)

When I asked price, they just said £45. So not sure what brand etc. They never recommended 2 either.

Would she be best having 2 and being same brand and type. Or is one new one OK providing it hasnt got too much tread over the other? (Expensive game this is before xmas)

It looks like a rim protector to me, designed for exactly that reason, I had a couple the same on the ST and they weren't flagged by 2 separate MOTs.

Sidewall damage is only a fail if -

a.  A tyre has a cut the length of which is in excess of 25 mm or 10% of section width, whichever is greater, deep enough to reach the ply or cords

b.  a tyre has

·   a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure. This includes any lifting of the tread rubber

·   any of its ply or cord exposed

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club