Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel gauge /pump problems.

Andy52

Hi, I'm a new member and I am looking for some help in solving an annoying fault. 

My mk4 1.25 ghia had a fuel pump that only worked when it felt like it. So I changed it to the one from my previous mk4 1.25 ghia which I knew worked well. Only problem now is that the fuel gauge is working backwards. Full being empty, and empty being full. What easy fix is there to remedy this. 

Thanks in advance Andy. 

Please excuse my inexperience with a car like this, but could the positive and negative wires just be the wrong way around linking up the gauge. Again, not familiar with this, but I am a fitter so this sort of stuff (3 phase motors running backwards etc.) is pretty common, and is the first thing I'd look at.

Hi there,  there is no visible way of getting the wires crossed,  it's a 5 pin connection which will only connect one way. I did think that it might be a wiring problem,  but wouldn't know which ones to swap around.

Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

If it was only the pump you changed and nothing else then the problem is and can only be at the pump end as nothing else has changed. The problem must be in the wiring maybe there is a slight difference between the pumps( part numbers)  As you have already thought a swap of the right wires will do the trick. A look at the wiring diagram will help here try a Haynes manual for your year.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club