Do Not Sell My Personal Information

?The fault

Kawakev

Hi folks 

Wondering if anyone has had s similar problem and how they cured it.

My car is 2008 2.2tdci tit x sport.

The car had 2 recent leaks in the cooling system. 1 was a overflow hose the other was due to a hose that was hanging down and rubbing on the driveshaft.

My mechanic thought that hose was not correct and stuck on by a bodger and cut about 18 inches of and rejoined it back up. Since that when I accelerate the car stutters and won't go above 3000rpm till the engine is warm.Once the car is warm no problems,pulls like normal. Mechanic plugged in to diagnose and came up with EGR valve intermittent problem. Has anyone experience this, could it be a faulty EGR causing this. Or could chopping some of the coolant hose off had some effect on something else. At my wits end as it's already cost me to have the two leaks fixed. Don't want to fork out on a new EGR valve and it's not that. Mechanic thought if I blanked off the EGR and problem stopped it would definitely be a new valve needed.

Any help much appreciated 

Hi further to my explanation above. On looking for a blanking plate for my EGR valve on eBay the ones I have found say only for front mounted Valves. Given this is it possible to blank my rear mounted egr at all.

If it says front egr only I would suggest the two are shaped different and the plate only fits one not both. Egr valves are not that big of an issue, just take it out and clean it out with petrol and a small plastic bristled brush like a tooth brush. I also regularly use brake and clutch cleaner spray to clean egr's. People replace them all the time and 90% of the time they just need a good clean out. Even the worst ones can usually be sorted by soaking them overnight. Just don't get any fuel/cleaners into the electrical parts. Use a screw driver to push the valve open from the inside, push it back shut from the outside. Keep cleaning and forcing open and closed till it starts moving again, eventually it'll start to "ping" shut by itself. Once it does you cracked it, pop it back in and go make a cuppa with a grin on your face. 

Rossco

• Like 2

On 9/1/2018 at 1:48 PM, thanuttiscotsman said:

If it says front egr only I would suggest the two are shaped different and the plate only fits one not both. Egr valves are not that big of an issue, just take it out and clean it out with petrol and a small plastic bristled brush like a tooth brush. I also regularly use brake and clutch cleaner spray to clean egr's. People replace them all the time and 90% of the time they just need a good clean out. Even the worst ones can usually be sorted by soaking them overnight. Just don't get any fuel/cleaners into the electrical parts. Use a screw driver to push the valve open from the inside, push it back shut from the outside. Keep cleaning and forcing open and closed till it starts moving again, eventually it'll start to "ping" shut by itself. Once it does you cracked it, pop it back in and go make a cuppa with a grin on your face. 

Rossco

Agreed although on some engines i.e. my 1.8 TDCi the EGR is an absolute bar steward to remove because it's part of the manifold :wallbash:

Considering how expensive most EGRs are brand new for most issues that might be a misbehaving EGR it's definitely worth giving it a clean to avoid having to pay ££££.

• Like 1

Yeah some can be a real pain in the ars* to get out.

Some are in easy to access places some are way down the back where you can't even see them from above.

Some will pop out and some really won't. I was doing this job on a 2009 vito two weeks ago, egr's on top of engine at the back just in front of the bulkhead, easy access yes but took me 1 hour 40 mins to persuade it out and I chipped a piece of metal out the bolt eyelet, nothing a washer didn't fix. Took me an additional 30-40 mins to give the egr a real good scrub and get it moving perfectly again and pop it back in. 

Was clever and sanded the egr's outer slightly to remove corrosion and also now it pops in and out easy. 

the 2008 2.2 tdci egr is buried at the rear of engine ,  a right pain in the ***** to remove. not sure on that vehicle but later fords egr can be cycled to get then working again via diagnostics routine. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club