Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT Failure - Estimae Costs

Aldmi

Hi, first time here 

Bought a 2007 Focus in January and had its MOT today and failed pretty bad. Getting it repaired on Thursday but wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of costs. The garage are going to ring later but thought I’d get an idea first. This is what it failed on and needs fixing:

• Tyre tread below requirement Nearside Front
  • Brake Pad less then 1.5mm offside rear
  • Suspension arm ball joint likely to become detached nearside front
  • service brake excessively binding offside rear
  • Parking brake efficiency below requirements 

they charge £46 + vat per hour and said it would be roughly 3 hours and I know a tyre is about £40. So already looking at £200 :(

Any idea on the rest if it much appreciated 

Looking at around another £200 on top pal, if you can do the brakes and tighten your handbrake (plenty of tutorials on youtube) try having a look how to tighten the suspension ball joint yourself you'll save a fortune, you'd save about £150

Ball joint likely to become detached - did they say what the issue was there?  Sounds like the ball joint is either very worn (and will be knocking like a bugger!) or the wishbone is rusted through if it's an aftermarket part.

It looks like you'll need a new NSF wishbone, new OS rear caliper, set of rear pads and a tyre.  So maybe £150 in parts.  And 3 hours labour sounds about right so £180ish.  The most expensive part will be the new rear caliper so it may be more economical to buy a good used one, unless they can get away with just cleaning it up or replacing the slide pins.

So about £400 all together, I suppose could be worse

No knocking at all, car has been driving spot on

dropped it off this morning 

going to be an extra cost as the key to get the wheels off isn’t where I thought it was and thinking back I didn’t check when I bought it. Garage said they can still get the wheel off but will take longer and more cost.....

They have just rang and said it does need a rear calliper so with all parts, Labour and Vat it’s going to be £485

An hourly charge of £46+vat is very reasonable these days.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club