Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 gearchange

primus1960

Hello, everyone 

i have a fiesta mk8 titanium, 67 plate, I’ve recently noticed the gearchange has become quite notchy , when changing from 1st to 2nd, it’s a bit “ clunky” . I’m sure when we bought it the gearchange was smooth, and slotted nicely into gear, there’s no problem engaging gears just not as smooth as it used to be. I was in the dealers where I bought the car from to have the ford assist renewed ( £35 , thanks ford) and I mentioned about the gearchange at the time, the mechanic said he tried a few other fiestas and they were the same, and they even let me try one myself albeit without starting the car, and I must admit it also felt the same as I moved the gearstick through the gears, as I said, it doesn’t affect how the car drives or anything, has any other mk8 fiesta owners had/have problems with a clunky gearchange, should I be concerned or is this as the dealer says normal?

I've always noticed the gearboxes are a bit more notchy in the winter, from the oil thickening up from the cold I'm guessing.

Yes I’ve had my 67 plate about 5 weeks and 1st to 2nd is clunky. I had a 13 plate before and it was much smoother. It’s going back to the dealership on Monday as the window doesn’t open any more and the battery doesn’t hold its charge! Might just mention it’s clunky gears!

Haven't noticed this but car has only done 3k.

Let me know what they say, about the gearchange I took mine in on a Saturday morning so I’m not sure if they were too interested, might just be the oil in the lower temperatures.

Thank goodness it isn't my imagination. My ST line X is 7 months old with 9000 on the clock and over the last few weeks I have also noticed a change with first and second gears - definitely not as smooth as they were. Will keep an eye on this now but interested to hear if anyone experiences a worsening situation.

I sometimes get quite a loud clonk when going in to or out of 2nd, but the actual gear lever action doesn't feel bad. Don't think it did this at new, not sure when it started. Was doing it during hot summer months too.

I had a hire Vignale recently, and the gear change was smooth as anything. Actually made me want it, and I thought the gear change on my 2014 was nice!

Is this another fault starting to show? Some members seem to have the same issue 

Just picked up on this thread.

1st to 2nd has seemed a bit "clunky" on virtually every car I've had compared to the higher gears and this one is no exception. Only done just over 4,000 miles so far but can't say I've noticed any deterioration since I got the car during the big freeze in March.

Don't use 1st to 2nd that often as fortunately I don't drive much in heavy traffic nowadays, so the upper gears get a lot more chance to bed in. It occurred to me that if others were in a similar position, it could be that the upper gears have got easier relative to 1st/2nd and the latter just seem worse? Just a thought!

Yes I’ve only done just over 5k in a year but I’m sure the gearchange was lovely and smooth when I first bought it, not sure when it started to be an issue but it’s kind of spoiling what is otherwise a great car...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club