Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 diesel starting problem

wild_one

Last night, completely out of the blue my 1.8tdci failed to start. It had run perfectly all day, no smoke, no EML no issues. No recent work has been carried out. Today I went to start and after initially starting it cut out after a few seconds and subsequently would not re-start. It just cranks but doesn't fire. If I crank for long time it will just catch then die again.

could be a million things. get a code reader on it and see if any fault codes. You can get fault codes which don't put the EML on. 

Check that it actually has some diesel in it. I'd stick 5-10 litres in and give it another go. 

Checking for fuel at the injectors would be my first thing to do.

14 hours ago, wild_one said:

Today I went to start and after initially starting it cut out after a few seconds and subsequently would not re-start. It just cranks but doesn't fire. If I crank for long time it will just catch then die again.

Leak in a fuel line or filter housing, is the most likely culprit. All the lines up to the main pump are under some suction almost all the time, so air will be drawn in, no fuel will leak out. Once the 1.8TDCI gets any air into its fuel system, it is a pig to start.

• Like 2

Had this problem when i owned petrol Mondeo, would fire up then stall, i thought must be low on fuel, so put a gallon in, same problem. On the phone to mechanic friend who immediately diagnosed fuel pump needs replacing, don't know if same with diesel but symptoms sound similar. 

Theres no sender unit on 1.8 so it would be the high pressure fuel pump if that were the case, which is why what peter said is so relevant, because its negative pressure, fuel is sucked up the pipe along with any air entering through any bad seals.

The problem you have is that it could be anything, without access to some diagnostics your going to struggle. 

To work you need fuel, compression and air. But along side all that you need working electronics to regulate it all, it could be a needle in a haystack , you really need a code reader at minimum or ideally Forscan and a ELM 327 device https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

• Like 1

I too can recommend a code reader from tunnelrat, ideally use a windows laptop with (free) forscan on it. I have the usb cable version. If you get wifi version you can use with iphone/ipad (with different software)

• Like 1

if it was me, id throw in a new fuel filter and seal, don't forget to replace the o ring (this comes with the filter from ford not euro) in the cap of the filter housing. soak the filter first, place into the housing then top up the housing (remember to clean the debris in bottom of the cannister). connect the lid screw on straight cause the seal can/will move. remove bleed nipple on top an fill with a syringe till brimmed. remove the feed pipe from filter cap suck/prime (with a bulb) the fuel from the tank to here then replace quickly. (make sure battery is charged) crack open a injector or the bleed nipple on the high pressure pump and start cranking. soon as fuel appears fasten up then carry on cranking until starts. hope this helps.

I had this last year, car ran fine. then 1 morning took ages to start then a few days after didn't start at all. turned out to be the seal on the filter housing just decided to pack up

• Like 1

The fuel filter is about the only achilles heel on the 1.8.
I personally recommend changing it at every service just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

The fuel filter is about the only achilles heel on the 1.8.
I personally recommend changing it at every service just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Yeah, I am really pleased with it. Considering its 'just' a 1.8 diesel it goes like a train, and has oomph right where you need it for overtaking and motoway. Plus, soooo good on fuel

• Like 2

On 12/29/2018 at 8:43 PM, martyntdci said:

crack open a injector or the bleed nipple on the high pressure pump

Filling the filter & fuel lines I definitely agree with. Also the good, charged battery.

I would not, myself, recommend any attempt to bleed the high pressure side of the pump on a common rail diesel. The fittings are rated for extreme pressure (22,000PSI) and not designed for repeated use. Also there should be no need as the pump and each injector have return lines to the tank that will bleed off any air. This was common practice on lower pressure mechanically injected diesels (TDI etc), but not for common rail.

Once you get fuel into the low pressure side of the pump, then the 1.8 will fire up, just may take a bit of cranking. But this pump will not suck air.

6 hours ago, wild_one said:

Considering its 'just' a 1.8 diesel it goes like a train, and has oomph right where you need it for overtaking and motorway. Plus, soooo good on fuel 

+1 !!!

Coming back from London last week, I twice had to overtake slow cars doing 40-50 on a 60 road (in 150 miles, so not so bad!). When I did get a nice straight and visibly clear run, I just floored the throttle in 5th, pulled out, and watched them fade away in the rear view mirror. Made me smile!

Anyone had an idea on the size of the small o-ring that goes onto the pipe of the fuel casing cover? Most OEM filters do not deliver this part, except Mann and Mapco, even original Ford filter (nice Ford box, Ford stamp on the top but Delphi stamp on the bottom) is without it..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club