Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ecu location

martyntdci

he said there is no issues, he thinks its something do with the bcm, but unsure.  ive been patrolling the net for the u1900 code, and im getting nothing, these wont even wipe from the ecu.  I honestly don't know. I would of thought both though. the other code b2089 I think is because I have led's in the puddle lights. would the u1900 be enough for the car to cut out and lock up?

could I just change the cluster? like a plug and play, or isn't it that easy?

Yeah you can ignore the puddle light codes.

U1900 can definitely cause a cut out.

You can't change the cluster without programming the new one.  It is part of the immobiliser system.

You could send the cluster, PCM & BCM away for testing, somewhere like BBA Reman.  But I have no idea how much they'd charge for it.

• Like 1

How would I be able to narrow the code down any? As I don't want it to be a money pit? Sorry to constantly bug people...  🙁

Also can I straight swap the fuse box? 

5 hours ago, martyntdci said:

Got the car back from the garage and a couple of codes are found these are....  Ecu hasn't been tampered with and the wiring from this to the bcm is fine...  

There is no significant wiring direct from ECU to BCM on a Mk2\2a Focus. The important communication links (CAN buses) are routed via the Cluster (IC).  One bus (HS-CAN) goes from ECU to IC, via the other underbonnet modules like ABS & Steering. Another bus (MS-CAN) goes from IC to BCM via in-car stuff like door modules and audio systems. So the comment from the garage is potentially a bit dubious. Maybe they checked continuity on both buses, but if so, why not say?

Any module can generate U1900 codes, it just means there is some sort of problem with data getting around the car somewhere. (In Ford terms, a module is any electronic unit with a processor and a connection to a bus.) If data can not pass freely between ECU & IC, then you will certainly get immobiliser (PATS) problems. The PATS function is shared between the ECU and the IC. So like Tom says, U1900 can cause a cut-out, but equally it can be just a glitch, even caused when connecting or disconnecting a diagnostic system. So on its own it is not very helpful.

If you can get Forscan working, it will tell you which module the U1900 is in. And on which bus. It may also reveal more codes.

The Passenger fusebox is the BCM, but as far as I know it can be swapped for another one, as long as it has the same spec., ie is from a very similar car. But Immobiliser problems are not very likely to be linked to the BCM.

If the accident damaged any wiring, it sounds like it is most likely to be the MS-CAN bus, there is no HS-CAN bus wiring near the back of the car on a 1.8TDCI. Just possibly a fault on the MS-CAN bus is confusing the IC so much that it can not handle the PATS transactions. But that is a bit of a long shot. Better diagnostics would help.

As Tom also said, the IC & ECU are paired together, and set up for your keys. So they are not so easy to just swap. Forscan can re-programme the PATS system, to allow either the IC or ECU to be changed, but it is not very easy, and not something I have experimented with!

Does the car start & run at all, or was it towed to the garage?

• Like 1

Car starts first time every time, and runs yes, a tad sluggish but I think this is due to the fault code. It just cuts out when ever it wants to but won't re start until codes been cleared. Now I think about it, cause this be a immobiliser issue? 

3 hours ago, martyntdci said:

Car starts first time every time, and runs yes, a tad sluggish but I think this is due to the fault code. It just cuts out when ever it wants to but won't re start until codes been cleared. Now I think about it, cause this be a immobiliser issue? 

That does not sound like immobiliser to me. The clue is if the red PATS LED flashes oddly. Immobiliser problems will show by this LED flashing rapidly, in fact after a while it starts to flash out a code. Google PATS flash codes. On some cars there will also be a message on the dash display. The odometer also usually changes to all dashes.

Though the reason I have been suspecting PATS problems is from the codes you read from the IC. Have you tried the secret dash test again lately?

Cutting out while running is almost certainly not immobiliser, it is designed to never, ever do that, for safety reasons. All the main software is in the ECU, not some add-on bit that can be by-passed. So once the ECU is up & running, it will not go into immobilised mode until ignition off.

It sounds like an intermittent fault due to a bad connector or damaged wiring. Does the engine warning light (MIL) or the engine systems light (cog wheel with ! in it) ever come on? If so there should be a DTC that can be read. Some codes vanish after an ignition off/on cycle, some stick around. A few do have lasting effects until cleared.

• Like 1

When it cuts out engine malfunction light comes on yes.  I honestly carnt say much more. When I get forscan delivered I can read more into it.  But won't be till next week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martyntdci said:

When I get forscan delivered I can read more into it. 

Having a Ford specific system to hand when a problem first happens can be a great help. You can't beat being able to read codes when they are new, and the MIL is still on. These systems tell you which code is responsible for requesting the light to be on, and that is a clue as to what is the most vital code. Also you can delete codes once read & logged, then see better what comes up again first, and if there are symptoms at the same time. And which module they happen in.

This sort of wiring / software / electronics problem is hard to deal with, and almost impossible for most garages, even for many Ford dealers. They usually start replacing bits at your expense. Forscan is probably the best available system for Fords apart from the dealer's IDS system, which is not readily available. But it can still be hard to locate the real problem, these systems are only as good as the software, in the car and in the system. And software is always full of bugs and errors when stressed beyond its standard use!

Symptoms, electrical measurements & tests, replacement of cheap parts, DTCs, and data logging may all need to be used together to track down tough problems. DTCs on their own are often wrong or misleading, the in-car software easily gets confused about what is a real fault, and what is a consequence of that fault. But they still provide vital clues, if combined with other fault finding methods.

The thing is the eml isn't on. I've just gone and replaced every fuse in both fuse boxes, and noticed a few about 6 tbh was not the correct ampage they were under was checking against fuse box diagram and listing on a Ford page. Car started first time after, took it for a quick drive did the on board test noticed battery was 11.7v (car was off) and a new code of d900. 

I now have forscan switchable dongle. Do I need install the disc that came with it? As my laptop doesn't seem to want to read any what so ever lol. 

Just ran forscan the u1900-20 pointed to ic, and had gem codes for door modules as well as the b codes for puddle lights. Did all the separate module reset on h/s and m/s cleared all the dtc's and ran numerous scans through out the system and the only codes remain was the puddle lights.  Hopefully should be OK now 

On 1/5/2019 at 12:41 PM, martyntdci said:

Hopefully should be OK now 

Any news?

The IC does look like the common link in the faults you have reported. If the U1900 or other faults do come back in the IC, then it would probably need a bit more investigation. If there is a dodgy connector on the IC, bashing the fascia close to it might make the fault better, or worse. Either way it would help to locate it.

I would be a bit surprised, but not totally so, if the module resets and code clearing cured the fault, but stranger things have happened on these modern, software ridden cars. Looking forward to getting a drive-itself version?

With more electronics lol. I have another u1900 which points to the drivers door central locking unit broken ground, but this works perfect. Other than that and puddle lights no more.  I hope they don't come back as I do no want a 200 pound refer bill for the ic

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club