Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Serious Battery Problem....Keeps going flat.

jace1969

Ok this is becoming a pain,i had a battery fitted on 12-02-18 and its a 063-41AH Numax Premium with a 3 year warranty so well in that,cost me £65 from protyre(chemix).

As i said on here i cant give this car a everyday run being a at home carer there is not a chance so car is sitting for around 3 days 72 hours total inside a garage on back yard.

I came to start it and very slow and then ticking as its flat so jumper on it,no way should this go flat in 3 days as there is cars outside of our house for 7 days and more.

What is running on this car when all turned off as these are the thing i have added but only one is running 24/7 but it goes into std.by when fully charged its a cheap tracker and

had this for 2 years,i have 2 dash cams all off ignition and that's it what i have fitted,i also at time tried with car not locked so then alarm aint on to see if its that but the same.

I will point this out again that i care for a very frail 90+ year old dad and i can only leave the house for shopping every 3 or so days which is local,is there ways that a Novice

like me or advice on what is using this battery as i have not a clue with meters or have one.......Its a 2011 Titanium 1.6 with 29k on the clock,serviced every 12 months and due july.

Had this problem in one of my cars and it was the alternator regalater changed for new one no problem since seems if this is gone it drains power when car is off 

Just for info my old alternator showed it was charging ok 

Are you with the AA or RAC? if so you could call them out when it's flat and they'll check the battery condition and alternator charging

If you aren't with the above them Protyre should run a battery and charging system check

"Diode failures may also allow AC current to leak into the electrical system. AC voltage creates electrical “noise” that can confuse electronic modules and digital communications. A leaky diode also can allow current to drain out of the battery through the alternator when the vehicle is not being driven." (https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/starting-and-charging/starters-and-alternators-common-misdiagnosis/)

It's talking about the diodes used in the alternator regulator.

So possibly a faulty alternator regulator...

• Like 1

I recently bought a voltmeter that plugs into the cig/aux so that I can monitor the alternator and battery.Accuracy maybe not perfect but gives me a rough idea of any abnormalles.👍

11 hours ago, williamweb said:

I recently bought a voltmeter that plugs into the cig/aux so that I can monitor the alternator and battery.Accuracy maybe not perfect but gives me a rough idea of any abnormalles.👍

I have one of these,its built into my cigi/power point adapter running off ignition as this had 3 cigi points and 2 u.s.b and a read out when car is running,what should it be.

Going back i had a battery fitted but it was not the right one for the car (same place) so i rang them and i went down and they checked the stuff then as i had the same

problem but put it down to the lower rated battery that they fitted wrong,moving onto now it has the same issue and not on 12 months yet,well 1 day off.

See i only mainly use when everything is needed to be on like early for shopping like 6.30am so dark and windows misty or icy so all on..lights/heater/wipers if needed and

still only a local-ish drive,well car aint even to main running temp off the heater then as its not red hot just warm to hot,15 mins drive there and same back.

What run roughly with these on lights/heater would a car need to put in the power into the battery,just a rough idea.

What do you think of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549869490&sr=8-1&keywords=CTEK+MXS

or this one a lot cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAYPOLE-Electronic-Smart-Car-Battery-Charger-Fast-Trickle-Pulse-Modes-4-AMP-AGM/152730710488?epid=13002613584&hash=item238f75b1d8:g:cDwAAOSwsQJcBVyI:rk:11:pf:0

Good morning If I were in your situation I would go for one of those ctek rechargers/reconditioners.The  battery can then be supplied with a trickle charge when standing for the days  not being used.If my car is running with everything off my voltage is 14.6.Lights and heater on 14.2👍

24 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Good morning If I were in your situation I would go for one of those ctek rechargers/reconditioners.The  battery can then be supplied with a trickle charge when standing for the days when not being used.If my car is running with everything off my voltage is 14.6.Lights and heater on 14.2👍

Thanks for the fast reply,my reading is 14.1 with the same on heater and lights,i will order one of them as on offer as well.

Cheers.

The Cteks are always selling second hand on eBay you could pick up a bargain.I’ve been following these for awhile now because i’m going to buy one.It’s a risk so i’ll probably buy new with a warranty 👍how ever have a look you may be tempted👍

The Cteks are always selling second hand on eBay you could pick up a bargain.I’ve been following these for awhile now because i’m going to buy one.It’s a risk so i’ll probably buy new with a warranty [emoji106]how ever have a look you may be tempted[emoji106]
I have just ordered one off amazon save £10 so £ 69 and 5 year cover,looked at about 6 YouTube videos and not 1 gives it a bad review,just wanted to see if you just leave it on the car setting is it just a normal car charger and the conditioner and car at the same time checks the battery and charges so just adds a extra thing to it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have a Ctek charger, bought it for a Freelander2 which didn't do many miles so kept that topped up at weekends.

You can either use the clamps to connect it to the battery or fit the harness to the battery which has a quick fit connector on the end to make connecting to the charger a bit quicker.

The charger when 1st connected will check the battery charge, it will then charge the battery fully and then go into maintain mode which is basically like a trickle charge meaning the battery is always topped up - it wont over chanrge the battery so you can leave the charger on for as long as you want.

What a great bit of kit,even ordered me the cigi lighter plug so i can charge battery through that as mine is on 24/7 and some newer ones turn off after 10mins.

Looking at this monitor thing for £6 as well which you leave connected with 3 lights on it and tells you how your battery is (traffic light type).

22 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I have just ordered one off Amazon save £10 so £ 69 and 5 year cover,looked at about 6 YouTube videos and not 1 gives it a bad review,just wanted to see if you just leave it on the car setting is it just a normal car charger and the conditioner and car at the same time checks the battery and charges so just adds a extra thing to it.

Which Ctek number did you go for?I’m thinking of going for number 7👍

Which Ctek number did you go for?I’m thinking of going for number 7[emoji106]
It's the mxs 5 for bikes and cars,good offer on amazon but never new they do different attachments for them,I will get the cigi/power point charger adapter so i can charge car through the in car cigi lighter as only about £10

The adapter convinced me and the ability to condition the battery for optimum state of health.I’m hoping it will prolong the life of the battery seeing a return on the investment 👍

32 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

It's the mxs 5 for bikes and cars,good offer on Amazon but never new they do different attachments for them,I will get the cigi/power point charger adapter so i can charge car through the in car cigi lighter as only about £10

The adapter convinced me and the ability to condition the battery for optimum state of health.I’m hoping it will prolong the life of the battery seeing a return in the investment [emoji106]

Well the reviews I have read and videos I have watch shocked how good it was as wasn't it,I needed a good battery charger and this has a few more added stuff for me so all good.

Mine is the MX5 - this was designed specifically for AGM batteries but also works on standard batteries as well

I also have the wall hanger which the charger slots into with the clips hanging underneath 🙂

Got to say this is great,as this battery i have is only 12 months old and i only do local stop start driving this is a must bit of kit.

Hooked it up and read out is 1 upto 8 and this was stuck on 3 then 30 mins later went to 4 and stopped on 4 for 8 hours until was fully charged so the thing is here

is my battery what i can see was hovering between 3 and 4 (4 is very low but will start car) what it says and 3 is it wont so i wasn't putting enough in when all lights/heater

was on and small trips to get it past 4 on the charger then overnight it dropped lower but this is a great item and getting the traffic light plug so i can just look and see the charge.

It attaches to the battery and stays there so you just look at it and a plug to plug the charger in if needed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club