Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud clunking or creaking noise from underneath car.

PitstopPete

As the title says I get a loud clunking or creaking sound coming from underneath my car.

It only happens when I pull away, like when there is a shift of weight to the front wheels. The noise sounds like it is coming from under the center of the car, somewhere under the handbrake.

I have had a look but I cant find anything obvious, or loose.

The front o/s top suspension mount was changed a few weeks before the noise started, could it be something to do with that?

I dont like the noise and Im unsure weather to drive it or not.

Please help. Thanks you for reading.

This will be difficult to diagnose over the internet unfortunately, I'd recommend taking it to a trusted garage for a check.  Top mounts can creak but the sound is usually noticeably on one corner rather than the centre of the car.  It's likely to be a weak rubber bush on the lower arm or anti roll bar but really need to get a pry bar in and see if anything moves that shouldn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PitstopPete said:

As the title says I get a loud clunking or creaking sound coming from underneath my car.

It only happens when I pull away, like when there is a shift of weight to the front wheels. The noise sounds like it is coming from under the center of the car, somewhere under the handbrake.

I have had a look but I cant find anything obvious, or loose.

The front o/s top suspension mount was changed a few weeks before the noise started, could it be something to do with that?

I dont like the noise and Im unsure weather to drive it or not.

Please help. Thanks you for reading.

My wife's MK2.5 1.8 Duratec was previously doing this and in that case it turned out that one of the exhaust hangers had snapped so the exhaust was able to move around, it made such a racket I was convinced it was going to be something more serious.

• Like 2

Mine's been doing this for a few months. The car had it's MOT a few weeks ago and they never mentioned it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In the end it was the broken exhaust barcket, when I pulled away the exhaust was knocking on the sub frame.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 1:26 PM, PitstopPete said:

In the end it was the broken exhaust barcket, when I pulled away the exhaust was knocking on the sub frame.

Same basic reason my wife's 1.8 Duratec was making a racket, it's always nice when it's a simple/cheap fix!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club