Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3 1.6 Powershift slow start problem

JonSick

I posted this on another forum which appears to be dead, but thought I'd ask.

I have an intermittent problem with my 2013 plate Focus. I have noticed it mainly happening on cold mornings especially if I've used the car a lot the previous day, e.g. drove 150 miles back from Bristol over the weekend and had the issue on the cold Monday morning.

I'll hit the button to start the car; it will appear to crank slow and then give up. The second button push and the car starts normally. The car runs smooth when going, there doesn't appear to be any other symptoms other than what's stated. I did wonder about the battery, but it was replaced in May last year with an RAC replacement.

I have had a good hunt around (twice now). I can't see any leaks, hoses that appear to be perforated, the leads going to the sparks look perfectly fine. I've not removed the spark plugs yet because as I say, when running the car is perfectly smooth.

Is this an indication of some symptom getting worse, or is this a common symptom of something? It's been fine for the last two mornings but I'm eager to chase it down in case something goes boom.

Not sure if this is any help, I own a 2012 2.0 tdci powershift. I've noticed at first start of the day if I press the button and release it quickly it cranks for a very short period and stops. Yet if I hold the button for only 1 or 2 seconds longer it fires straight up. I had this down as glow plugs heating but it does it even when we had that 30° heat earlier this year. Can't say if it's the battery I've only owned the car a couple of months and don't know the history of the battery. Maybe just try holding the button slightly longer and see what happens. 

• 3 years later...

FWIW, if anyone is googling this, a replacement battery did solve this problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, JonSick said:

FWIW, if anyone is googling this, a replacement battery did solve this problem.

Clean the earthing points too, the transmission will perform much better.

Main battery earth to body

x2 Engine & Transmission earths to chassis rail (under air cleaner box)

Remove the earth strap, remove the paint from the area where the strap sits, grease area and refit strap

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club