Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Desktop Computers These days & good programs

Lenny

Hi all, 

I'm starting to feel old now; I haven't had a Computer since my Toshiba laptop packed up on me in 2006, 

I've been using Android based tablets or phones ever since then; past three years been solely using a Samsung Mobile for everything and I'm quite proud of it; bought many household items through it. 

Now my kids are becoming teenagers; my eldest is in secondary school now and starting to learn about computers aswell as getting work to do on a computer at home. 

I've three kids in total and I'm planning to purchase a desktop which will last a few years; hopefully last for two out of the three kids before it becomes obsolete, 

Perhaps I'm old school but I really don't like the new All-In-One style computer as I fear thd youngest may accidentally damage the screen rendering the entire unit useless, I once had a custom tower which I transplanted a windows xp unit in to; bought few illuminated cables in Maplin at the time; really was a great store.

Anyway; I much prefer the old tower cabinet style where the screen is separate, I've chosen a Dell XPS 8930 with a 9th Gen Intel Core i7, Nvidia 2060 Graphics and 16GB DDR4 operating Windows 10 Professional, 512Gb solid state and a 1TB rotational HardDrive which I plan to change to a solid state in the future when funds allow to reduce noise. Also going for a 27" screen 

Regarding programs then; Back in my day there was a program called "Mavis Beacon" which tought you how to type correctly on the keyboard I've found it again on Google, is it still the best or is there others? 

And I'll also be needing Microsoft office which is straight forward enough to purchase,

But there aren't any shops where you can walk in for advice or information anymore and in a world full of online spam, malicious software and viruses; 

How do you get to know; what's the programs to have and where to get them from? 

I had Hallmark Greetings Card workshop back in the mid 90's was fun for creating birthday cards for family and friends; I'd like to have somthing like that for my kids to use too, 

And if there were some modern type of technical drawing software or educational software.

Can anyone recommend?  

I've also routed a CAT7 network throughout the house there two years ago; which I've connected Smart TV's and some viewing box's I'm now looking to add a network printer&scanner which I'll keep in the kitchen but the computer will be upstairs, can anyone recommend a specific brand or is there anything best avoided? 

I prefer keeping as much internet items as possible on the wired network; only the phones & tablets are on the wifi to best reduce the signals in the home.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all advice; we have Currys PC World here and Harvey Norman's but there all commission driven and there advice is based on the warehouse stock level not the truth. 

Printer recommendation: Any of the HP all in ones. You can pick them up for under £50 now. 
With technical drawing, are you meaning like CAD/CAM software or 3D creation stuff? I don't think that 3D creation or CAD/CAM can be obtained anywhere for free. 

Antivirus software: I'd recommend AVG. Some of the others like Norton interfere with programs/apps.
Malware software: Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

Printer recommendation: Any of the HP all in ones. You can pick them up for under £50 now. 
With technical drawing, are you meaning like CAD/CAM software or 3D creation stuff? I don't think that 3D creation or CAD/CAM can be obtained anywhere for free. 

Antivirus software: I'd recommend AVG. Some of the others like Norton interfere with programs/apps.
Malware software: Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. 

Thanks I'll have a look at HP, 

Epson used to be popular back in the 90's but took seven cartridges costing almost 80 punts back then, 

I dont mind paying for software and in regards Technical drawing well there used to be pirate copy of AutoCad Available for 20 euro at local markets but I'd like to keep this all legitimate, just something they could have a play around with maybe get a basic level 3D printer next year if they take enough interest. Just thinking of programs which they can create and gain experience which could then help in there future like Microsoft visio I used that in work to draw building layouts for illustrating the fire exits and eye wash points.

McAfee used to be popular back in the 90's too I've heard of AVG it used to be free perhaps it still is? Or is there a paid version?  

Thanks for response mate, 

18 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Thanks I'll have a look at HP, 

Epson used to be popular back in the 90's but took seven cartridges costing almost 80 punts back then, 

I dont mind paying for software and in regards Technical drawing well there used to be pirate copy of AutoCad Available for 20 euro at local markets but I'd like to keep this all legitimate, just something they could have a play around with maybe get a basic level 3D printer next year if they take enough interest. Just thinking of programs which they can create and gain experience which could then help in there future like Microsoft visio I used that in work to draw building layouts for illustrating the fire exits and eye wash points.

McAfee used to be popular back in the 90's too I've heard of AVG it used to be free perhaps it still is? Or is there a paid version?  

Thanks for response mate, 

I will ask my brother in law as he's played around with auto cad quite a bit. I'll ask which one he uses. 
AVG has 2 or 3 versions. The basic one is free but there are paid versions too which covers email, banking etc. 
McAfee also seems to interfere with some programs so I always uninstall it if it comes with a new PC/laptop. 
MS has paint 3D but not sure how good it is or how to use it. 
Most of the HP printers now only use 2 cartridges but even then, they're about £15-25 each but you can sometimes buy the XL versions for a few quid/euros more. My last HP all in one printer lasted 10 years before it finally broke and sprayed ink inside the cartridge door. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

I will ask my brother in law as he's played around with auto cad quite a bit. I'll ask which one he uses. 
AVG has 2 or 3 versions. The basic one is free but there are paid versions too which covers email, banking etc. 
McAfee also seems to interfere with some programs so I always uninstall it if it comes with a new PC/laptop. 
MS has paint 3D but not sure how good it is or how to use it. 
Most of the HP printers now only use 2 cartridges but even then, they're about £15-25 each but you can sometimes buy the XL versions for a few quid/euros more. My last HP all in one printer lasted 10 years before it finally broke and sprayed ink inside the cartridge door. 

Thanks mate,

Would have been cool if the ink sprayed on the inside of the cartridge door said something like RIP or bye 😅

7 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Thanks mate,

Would have been cool if the ink sprayed on the inside of the cartridge door said something like RIP or bye 😅

It would have been but it just sprayed it in blobs. I really don't know how it actually did it either as the ink heads face down and not outward. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club