Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Autonomous Braking System

Dark Andy

I was just wondering if anybody has tested the autonomous braking system on their Mk4? I'm curious to know how effective it really is but don't fancy driving my car at a wall to find out!

I've had numerous spurious alerts while driving but it did brake for me on one occasion when I must have driven into a parking  space against a wall too fast for it .

It works very well.

I was pulling away from some lights and the car in front stalled and the Focus stopped before I'd even took my foot off the accelerator.

If you have it on highest setting it does go off all the time (warning not braking) and can get on your knockers a bit

Do you guys have the full radar one as part of the active cruise package

50 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Do you guys have the full radar one as part of the active cruise package

Yes, that's the one I've got but apart from the (very) spurious alerts, it's not yet had a reason to intervene and actually stop the car but it is reassuring to hear that it does work when needed.

• Like 1

I've got the one with the windscreen sensor but never been brave enough to force it to trigger the brakes.

You can see the autonomous braking in action in various scenarios in the Euro NCAP tests:

I did occasionaly set it off in my Mk3.5 if I came in a bit hot to my parking space at work which is against a wall.

I've had mine kick in once when car in front braked suddenly in slow moving traffic, reacted quicker than I did and I wasn't day dreaming. As others have said the collision alert can be a bit over sensitive.

I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it

Computers can't reason.  All it sees is a speed differential, not why.  The wretched thing goes off on those dogleg giveaway things cos it thinks I'm going to hit the waiting car.  Bongs when I'm overtaking cos it wants me to pull out first and then accelerate.  Which is dangerous.

All these driver aids are crap, I'll rely on my 32 years and many millions of miles of experience

Thank you very much rant over.  :tongue:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club