Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 focus bonnet catch issue

D.s2254

Hello guys I’m having a bit of trouble and am hoping someone may be able to help.

I’ve got a 2004 focus and have just had to replace one of the headlight units for the mot. After refitting the grill I realised when turning the key left to release the bonnet nothing was happening but turning the key to the right to release the latch worked fine. (Lucky I realised before I shut the bonnet!) 

the key seems to work fine both left and right with the grill removed, can anyone explain why this is? I’ve checked the shut lines and making sure it all aligns etc

2 hours ago, D.s2254 said:

the key seems to work fine both left and right with the grill removed, can anyone explain why this is?

No, I can't!!

But there are loads of threads on this and most car sites about the Focus bonnet lock, and several different problems. The lock barral can jam or fail, the bowden cable (if that type) can weaken and twist, the cable or rod can come undone from the latch, or the latch can get stiff. I assume 2004 is Mk1, not sure if that has the bowden cable or a rod.

I assume you have tried soaking the latch in WD40 and then oil.

If it is possible to remove the lock and use a large screwdriver to operate the latch, then that is what I would do while sourcing a replacement latch. As it is a common fault, there are loads for sale at very sensible prices.

Hello thank you for your reply :-) yes it’s had a soak in plenty of WD40 and then some 3in1 oil.

i’ll order a replacement latch but not sure why it’s working fine with the grill removed but once I put the grill back on it’s back to not working 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, D.s2254 said:

it’s working fine with the grill removed but once I put the grill back on it’s back to not working 🤷‍♂️

On my Mk2, the grill does appreciably bend the cable from its natural line. I suspect a crack or broken joint if it is a solid rod, or a weak cable if cable type. The offset or bend caused by the grill may just add enough resistance so the weak point deflects before overcoming the latch spring.

I assume you have not tried it with the bonnet fully shut. Unwise if the lock / latch is suspect, it can be a bit of a pain to open!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club