Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed Sign Recognition - Not working as advertised

Danny E

Hi

I have a Focus Vignale that was built at the end of Aug 2019 and I collected it from the dealer at the end of Sept. The first thing I noticed before leaving, was the front passenger Door Edge Protector was not working properly (so much for Ford quality control), however, this was fixed when the spare parts arrived a month later, suprisingly, it took the mechanic 2hrs to fix. But whats really bugging me is the Speed Sign Recognition system (not Traffic Sign Recognition). According to the Focus brochure page 15, Speed Sign Recognition works by reading signs and by using date from the navigation, both my daughters Mk4 Focus a diesel (thats another story) and then a petrol version continually display the detected speed limit. The problem with my car is that it only works when it detects a sign, most of the time its blank. If I leave a detected 40/50mph limit for example and pass a National Speed Limit sign it goes blank, or drive on a motorway it does not display the speed limit, if I drive past a 30mph sign it will detect it, but if I turn left or right staying in the 30mph limit it goes blank. According to Ford Etis my car is " less speed sign recognition", but I can go in to the information system adjust the  speed tolerance and tick the speed sign box for the head up display. Grateful for some advice or if any Mk4 Focus has similar problems.

Thanks

If it says in ETIS that it is 'less speed sign recognition' then perhaps it hasn't been enabled. As for being able to select the options in the menu, it could be that for some reason that was actually enabled in the IPC. The behaviour you are describing sounds very much like TSR.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Do you have the Driver Assistance Pack?

Hi Jonro2009

Thats what I am thinking based on my experience with my daughters Focus. Strangely, when I asked the service manager to check my daughters car on Etis that also said less speed sign recognition and hers works perfectly. With regards to the Driver Assistance pack, no its not fitted to my car, that has Traffic Sign Recognition as part of the package, cars with that option have two display windows, one for Traffic Sign Recognition and one for Speed Sign Recognition, mine has the latter, it is my understanding that Speed Sign Recognition is a standard fit on the MK4 Focus

• Like 1

I can't seem to find 'speed sign recognition' in the brochure - which means nothing because I miss a LOT of things lol. I can only find reference to Traffic Sign Recognition.

I wonder if this thread will help though because they describe the system to be working exactly the same as yours, and there seemed to be a 'fix'

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/110981-traffic-sign-recognition-software-upgrade/

Speed sign recognition was and hopefully still is a standard feature on Mk4 as it is needed for intelligent speed limiter to work. If you are not seeing a speed limit all time then I wonder if you have a GPS problem as this indicates the speed limit unless overridden by a speed sign. Is sat nav working OK?

2 hours ago, Danny E said:

According to the Focus brochure page 15, Speed Sign Recognition works by reading signs and by using date from the navigation,

The brochure I have says the same, and a Vignale will certainly have nav. As Jon and Brian mention, that behaviour is what I sometimes experience with TSR if GPS data is not up to date or signal is lost and the system is only getting into from the camera.

One to pursue with your dealer (when they reopen!), perhaps.

• Like 1

Sat Nav ok no indication that GPS is not working properly. I need enough ammunition to go back to the dealer for them to sort it out, thats why I am seeking some info off this forum. Whats really annoying me is that when the service manager and I went out in a Focus demonstrator SSR worked perfectly it displayed 20mph on start up, we drove 100yds to the main road and it changed to 60mph with no sign in sight. The current brochure page 15 indicates that its a standard fit on the Mk4, even the owners manual states data provided by the sat nav. I am just wondering if Ford Pass is an indication of a problem, on my estate I live at no 48, my car is always parked outside no 63

Jonro2009

I have read that thread that talks about TRS which is also fitted to the Mk8 Fiesta, TRS is an optional extra on the Focus very confusing

It does sound very confusing.

I wonder if you could get one of the mechanics (after lockdown) to go out in your car with you and watch which signs show and then take the same route in the demo car?

I guess you could actually do this with your car and then your daughter's car, and video both trips so you have evidence of any differences?

Excuse my ignorance on this subject, I've only ever come across TSR. Speed sign recognition shows the speeds on the dash and works in tandem with the intelligent speed limiter, correct? What is the difference between that and TSR? I've only ever known of one road sign to illuminate on the instrument panel - the 'no overtaking' sign, so are they basically the same system?

I have done that, firstly jumped in mine with the service manager, drove along a 60mph limit nothing displayed then into a built up area, 30mph was displayed after passing a sign, turned down another street in the same area and it went blank. Went straight back to the garage jumped in a demonstrator and on start up 20mph the last recordrd limit was displayed and then after driving 100 yds 60mph was displayed. We drove the same route and the demontrator continually displayed speed limits. That prompted the service manager to keep my car for a couple of days. The conclusion was that there was nothing wrong with mine because Etis said less speed sign recognition

22 minutes ago, Danny E said:

Sat Nav ok no indication that GPS is not working properly. I need enough ammunition to go back to the dealer for them to sort it out, thats why I am seeking some info off this forum. Whats really annoying me is that when the service manager and I went out in a Focus demonstrator SSR worked perfectly it displayed 20mph on start up, we drove 100yds to the main road and it changed to 60mph with no sign in sight. The current brochure page 15 indicates that its a standard fit on the Mk4, even the owners manual states data provided by the sat nav. I am just wondering if Ford Pass is an indication of a problem, on my estate I live at no 48, my car is always parked outside no 63

Jonro2009

I have read that thread that talks about TRS which is also fitted to the Mk8 Fiesta, TRS is an optional extra on the Focus very confusing

TRS won't make any difference. As you suggested you should always see the speed limit indicated except in some car parks or private land as this is provided by GPS data. It can then be amended or confirmed by speed sign recognition and then can be corrected again by GPS reference points ie. if sign recognition misses a sign. Don't see why Ford pass should make any difference as the feature is part of the vehicle build . Having pass app activated will only ensure you can see live traffic updates. Dealer must know all this. Seems to me they need to do some updating.

If they have identified that the two cars behave differently, and they both have SSR then one of them must be faulty. As yours is displaying less, it's fair to assume that it is your car at fault.

If SSR is standard across the range, then ETIS should not come back as saying 'less SSR', that is an error. However, you say your daughter's Focus behaves the same way the dealers demo does, and hers also says 'less SSR' so again that points to your vehicle having a fault.

It seems that the settings in the IPC are correct, but the IPMA may not be programmed correctly. It may be worth asking Ford to reset the IPMA and see if that resolves the problem.

Do you have the VRM of the demo car? We could check ETIS and see if that vehicle says 'less SSR') it's possible it may do, and if so that blows Ford's excuse out the water.

I tried that Jon, I went back a couple of days later but unfortunately that demo had been sold. Plus, I have not been able to visit the dealer due to them being closed, my other option when this current crisis is over is to visit another dealership, for a second opinion, there are three in the same area. Wales is still in lockdown until the end of May. Thats why I am hoping other Focus Vignale owners like Brian can give an input

• Like 1

I tried that Jon, I went back a couple of days later but unfortunately that demo had been sold. Plus, I have not been able to visit the dealer due to them being closed, my other option when this current crisis is over is to visit another dealership, for a second opinion, there are three in the same area. Wales is still in lockdown until the end of May. Thats why I am hoping other Focus Vignale owners like Brian can give an input
Ok well good luck, I hope you get it sorted [emoji106]

• 6 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ben

Part exchanged the Focus in Oct, I now have a 2021 Fiesta ST 3 and guess what its exactly the same, the only difference to the Focus is when passing a national speed limit sign that is displayed for a few seconds then it goes blank. With regards to the Focus the Dealer was not much help neither was Ford, gave up in the end.

I think Speed sign is great but frankly if it isnt working 100% its pointless.  I know the highway code so I don't need it.

Mines blank at the same places every time. Main roads a 30 limit ..my dash has nothing for it. I get ‘caution’ warning for the speed camera (I obviously know it’s a 30) ..the 30 limit dash sign comes on 20 feet before the camera. If I didn’t know the road I’d be having to drop anchor sharpish. Local shopping centres a 60 limit ! With the latest map update I thought maybe they’d fix this.. I don’t see any difference. 
However local motorway is a 60 limit, down there this evening , really dense fog, dash is saying 50 limit . I assume that’ll be a temporary speed limit it’s picked up on? 🤷‍♂️

Ours often has the incorrect speed limit locally but that mainly down to the reclassification of the highways. Car saying it's a 50mph limit when now a 40mph limit etc etc. I've not noticed the speed sign disappear completely from the dash though but I will keep an eye out for it happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been doing some looking round, my Fiesta Vignale was perfect, told me the speed of roads ( I'm guessing using the sat nav, and would change when a sign was in view) but I've now just purchased a new Focus ST-Line and it seems to show up blank most times, it may flash the national speed limit sign for around 2 miles then vanish. It shown a 100kph sign today, I live in the UK so not sure where it found this.

On most roads it's blank and hardly works. Hope anyone here can help?!

I think the Vignale would have speed sign recognition rather than the cheaper models tech. Really not sure about the difference. 
the kph is surely an option in the dash cluster ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, Leonard2010 said:

Just been doing some looking round, my Fiesta Vignale was perfect, told me the speed of roads ( I'm guessing using the sat nav, and would change when a sign was in view) but I've now just purchased a new Focus ST-Line and it seems to show up blank most times, it may flash the national speed limit sign for around 2 miles then vanish. It shown a 100kph sign today, I live in the UK so not sure where it found this.

On most roads it's blank and hardly works. Hope anyone here can help?!

Im having the same trouble, my fiesta vignale had no issues with speed sign rec,,purchased a fiesta active x and now the speed sign goes blank most times, it sees a speed sign, shows on dash than blank..ford said they need to diagnostic but it really is frustrating, so hopefully i can have the speed sign back...the vignale was fantastic miss it.. HELP!!!

I collected my Focus on 23rd December and it's been back twice because of this problem. Mine quickly "forgets" what the limit is. In addition, as I drive West down the high street (30mph limit) it switches to 60mph! Even worse, as I turn left to drive East down the high street it displays a limit of 120mph for a few seconds!

The dealer says it's fine.

Just a thought.

Do any of you that are having issues with the Traffic sign recognition also have the HUD display ? 

Just had a look at the latest Focus Brochure (Nov 20) and all reference to "Speed Sign Recognition" has been deleted, however, the brochure still refers to "Traffic Sign Recognition" which is an optional extra (part of the driver assist pack). I believe from my experience with this issue, that ford have removed or disabled the Sat Nav input from the Focus and Fiesta built after or during Aug 2019 (MY2020). Can't comment on other models in the ford range. Both Focus and Fiesta owners manuals still refer to data from the sat nav system. Strange

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club