Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

Every day is a school day! Triumph I thought made motorcycles only. And Vitesse makes me think Rover 827 V8 24v . Late 80s . the car all my cars have never lived up to. 

Definition of 'vitesse'

1. the act or quality of acting or moving fast; rapidity. 2. the rate at which something moves, is done, or acts.

Was a 2.0 straight 6 engine in a car half the weight of a modern car. Did go well for its age. 

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Was a 2.0 straight 6 engine in a car half the weight of a modern car. Did go well for its age. 

Did it look like an old MG ? 

5 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Every day is a school day! Triumph I thought made motorcycles only.

It's an age thing LOL My mum had a beautiful 1960s Triumph car in deep burgundy, with wooden dash board, and my neighbour had a fabulous vintage Triumph TR6

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Did it look like an old MG ? 

ca185c8a90041d.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

ca185c8a90041d.jpg

I remember now. My late uncle whilst working abroad (Kuwait) had his spitfire that i thought was an MG going by the picture. Loved it so much had his company ship it to the Middle East! Only came home from Kuwait when Saddam invaded! 

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I remember now. My late uncle whilst working abroad (Kuwait) had his spitfire that i thought was an MG going by the picture. Loved it so much had his company ship it to the Middle East! Only came home from Kuwait when Saddam invaded! 

*old picture he sent me 

On 11/19/2020 at 10:14 AM, DaveT70 said:

10 yrs is a long time in the engineering world.

By the time 2028 comes there will be hydrogen fuel cell vehicles available. No need for charging etc

BEVs are a passing fad, a stop gap and will be replaced by Hydrogen vehicles. BEVs are effectively betamax. I shan't be buying one, I will wait for Hydrogen

That solves all the infrastructure issues.

Until then, I will stick with Diesel

Strange thing is , a combustion engine will run fine on methane and the local sewage treatment centre has been running their vehicles on methane since the 1980’s  . And I thought methane was a gas was a problem ?

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Yeah, a mate of mine had one. Went really well until he rolled it!😃 Transverse rear leaf spring (which I experienced on a Spitfire I had) gave "interesting" handling characteristics. Fabulous steering lock on Herald, Vitesse and Spitfire though.

• Like 2

Triumph was more reliable than the Mondeo I have now. Never broke down on me or needed any attention while I used it to work and back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robhonda said:

... the local sewage treatment centre has been running their vehicles on methane since the 1980’s

The government runs on similar LOL

Come on Alex, you must remember the Triumph Dolomite Sprint, there was even a dealer fitted performance pack exhaust, carbs and camshaft

Just like the Marina I had, they came in beautiful BL Brown 🤣

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• Like 1

I can think of one positive about banning petrol cars, apart from their pollution.

No more noisy cars (eventually) ! Well far fewer anyway.

I hate people with loud exhausts (motorbikes are even worse then cars) it's exceptionally inconsiderate....

56 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

Come on Alex, you must remember the Triumph Dolomite Sprint, there was even a dealer fitted performance pack exhaust, carbs and camshaft

Just like the Marina I had, they came in beautiful BL Brown 🤣

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

I worked with a guy back in the mid 90s that had an old " work car" Triumph Acclaim he paid IIRC £350 for it and it never missed a beat or let him down in the 5 years he was working there. 

21 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I can think of one positive about banning petrol cars,...

No more noisy cars (eventually) ! Well far fewer anyway.

There's a guy in my area with a 1960s Ford Mustang, I swear, every time I hear that V8, my knees tremble - I love it!

My Mum inherited a nearly new Triumph Acclaim in the mid 80's.  Was only rust that saw it scrapped in the end!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

My Mum inherited a nearly new Triumph Acclaim in the mid 80's.  Was only rust that saw it scrapped in the end!

Oh dear, we're going way off topic again!😃

I remember them being sold under the slogan "Totally equipped to Triumph". Although it was basically a Honda Ballade, the body pressings were done here, and locally sourced trim  etc gave it just enough local content to be classed as of British/EU origin under the trade rules of the time, though the drivetrain was shipped in from Japan. 

Pretty reliable cars as I recall, but the end of the Triumph name - the next version emerged as the first generation Rover 216. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

wasnt exactly a triumph. rebadged honda . thats why they lasted and gave hardly any trouble. they drove well. 

• Like 2

So were the Rover 400's, but with Rover engines except for the Automatic.

My Diesel one lasted 17 years and about 280,000 and the only non service item I needed to replace was the Power Steering Pump. It still returned 50 mpg with a 2.0 Litre mostly cast iron engine and distributor pump.

My first car was a Marina 1.8TC.  Horrendous but I loved it.

Dad's had an 827 and an 820TI and they could both shift.  220ti and 620ti were fast too.

I had a 216GSI that like Ian mentions, was a rebadged Honda,  Concerto I think.  Nice car for its time.

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Oh dear, we're going way off topic again!😃

I remember them being sold under the slogan "Totally equipped to Triumph". Although it was basically a Honda Ballade, the body pressings were done here, and locally sourced trim  etc gave it just enough local content to be classed as of British/EU origin under the trade rules of the time, though the drivetrain was shipped in from Japan. 

Pretty reliable cars as I recall, but the end of the Triumph name - the next version emerged as the first generation Rover 216. 

Fascinating history to the Triumph emerging  from Standard and the Standard Triumph with the involvement of Standards broad knowledge of vehicles and engines of tractors etc, Triumphs historic motorcycles in transition to motor vehicles Triumph eventually being  taken on board  by the British Layland Group . Unfortunately British Layland was struggling with their workforce and couldn’t adapt quickly enough for the emerging Japanese car market even after a lifeline with the Triumph Acclaim 

On 2/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, StephenFord said:

There's a guy in my area with a 1960s Ford Mustang, I swear, every time I hear that V8, my knees tremble - I love it!

I hate noisy cars and motorbikes, particularly late at night. This t*** was razzing his ultra loud bike all over our village at soddin' 3 in the bleedin` morning the other month. I have to say I was genuinely hoping he'd crash the ***** thing.

But it's not just at night, I can remember when I was stressed up to the eyeballs and going for a walk in the blissful quiet of the countryside, slowly dissipating my tension, when this b****** went past of his ultra loud bike, I could hear his exhaust echoing all round the valley for ages. If I could have got hold of him.......

Motorbikes are worse than cars for over loud exhausts as a percentage of the total number on the roads) but there are far more cars to make up for it.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, Guy Heaton said:

My first car was a Marina 1.8TC.  Horrendous but I loved it.

Dad's had an 827 and an 820TI and they could both shift.  220ti and 620ti were fast too.

I had a 216GSI that like Ian mentions, was a rebadged Honda,  Concerto I think.  Nice car for its time.

Don't knock Marinas, at least you could repair them easily and cheaply.....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Don't knock Marinas, at least you could repair them easily and cheaply.....

There wasn't alot to go wrong and when it did it didn't take long or cost much to repair. I did my mechanic apprenticeship at an austin/rover dealership working on mini, marina/ital,maestro,montego, metro,rover sd1,ambassador etc and the trusty acclaim. ( And older stuff, mgb,Morris Oxford,Cambridge,p6 rover,crappy Sherpa vans) 

Some of the above were piles of ***** to be fair!! 

55 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I hate noisy cars and motorbikes, particularly late at night. This t*** was razzing his ultra loud bike all over our village at soddin' 3 in the bleedin` morning the other month. I have to say I was genuinely hoping he'd crash the ***** thing.

But it's not just at night, I can remember when I was stressed up to the eyeballs and going for a walk in the blissful quiet of the countryside, slowly dissipating my tension, when this b****** went past of his ultra loud bike, I could hear his exhaust echoing all round the valley for ages. If I could have got hold of him.......

Motorbikes are worse than cars for over loud exhausts as a percentage of the total number on the roads) but there are far more cars to make up for it.

I'm your worst nightmare!!! 😂😂😂

1612737025986868051883.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club