Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

1 hour ago, pcaouolte said:

Builders will shove in the cheapest solution available. When they ban gas boilers the builders will put storage heaters in, they aren't going to install hideously expensive heat pump systems if they are not forced to do so. 

Builders shove in the cheapest solution. Surely not??

Talking of cheapest option, my brother in law drives a concrete lorry ( and I don't mean made of concrete) 

He delivers concrete of certain specs to building sites. Site near us has a cheaper concrete mix than the specs on the plans, and for good measure in the footings for the houses if they don't order enough they chuck in a few pallet loads of breeze block first and top off with the concrete. 

Any way, nothing to do with banning ice cars and van, but none of the last posts are either.😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, StephenFord said:

My late granny had them in her house (in the 60s!), they were the size of a chest freezer, and totally uncontrollable, pouring out heat when there was a heatwave, and cold to the touch in winter 🤣

I've been stuck with them my whole life so far.  Only ever lived in all-electric properties.  Going to my Nans with oil heating is such a novelty...though admittedly she does regularly have to have the boiler man out as it constantly seems to be broken. :laugh: 

My Great Aunt has an interesting 'literal' central heating system in her late 60s house.  There's an oil boiler in the centre of the house, enclosed by brick walls, which absorb and then radiate the heat for the downstairs rooms.  And underfloor heating for the upstairs.  No radiators needed!!  

However...she does have Dimplex panel convectors in every room which kind of defeats the object. :laugh: 

• Haha 1

We had 16 solar panels on our last house. It covered all our Electric Bill's but became a pain in the rear when we came to sell.

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

We had 16 solar panels on our last house. It covered all our Electric Bill's but became a pain in the rear when we came to sell.

Was that because of the transfer of ownership on any warranty, or some other reason?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

From a paperwork point or did potential buyers just not like the look/idea of them?

I know someone who bought a new build recently - the designated 'eco' house (apparently a percentage of any new development have to be) and got it cheaper than the others because no-one else wanted the ugly rooved one! :unsure:

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Was that because of the transfer of ownership on any warranty, or some other reason?

Yes mainly and purchases not understanding how the units worked. When it was mention that the panels covered all the electric Bill's and a tad more it was fine. Then in the next breath the same people would be saying to take them off because they couldn't understand 🙄

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Then in the next breath the same people would be saying to take them off because they couldn't understand 🙄

Aahhh... old folk who don't understand tech LOL

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

From a paperwork point or did potential buyers just not like the look/idea of them?

I know someone who bought a new build recently - the designated 'eco' house (apparently a percentage of any new development have to be) and got it cheaper than the others because no-one else wanted the ugly rooved one! :unsure:

People in general being thick. Want the free electric but not the panels pmsl....thats 100% true. 

The panels are still on the roof today.

I now have a solar panel in the windscreen of the Focus charging the battery via the OBD port. 11.6v this morning on way to work. Having break no 1 atm and its showing 12.3v 👍

• Like 2

Just now, StephenFord said:

Aahhh... old folk who don't understand tech LOL

No they were a younger couple in their 30's 😆

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I love solar, have had solar watches for over 20 years, still work perfectly! One I have on today runs on free fuel LOL

1949351859_P1020980crop.thumb.jpg.c5d3a9fffd43b9c1aa782bb2118cd80b.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I love solar, have had solar watches for over 20 years, still work perfectly! One I have on today runs on free fuel LOL

1949351859_P1020980crop.thumb.jpg.c5d3a9fffd43b9c1aa782bb2118cd80b.jpg

I got fed up having the battery replaced in my old watch...had worn it every day for about 15 years and was told the mechanism had worn which is why it was using so much battery power.  The batteries were free on a lifetime warranty but it was hassle going to the shop.

Anyway, I was bought a solar watch for my birthday that year...  Then Covid came along, I stopped going out so much and was worried about a watch getting contaminated when I was out, so I haven't worn a watch at all for over 12 months now...so that was kind of pointless.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I got fed up having the battery replaced in my old watch...had worn it every day for about 15 years and was told the mechanism had worn which is why it was using so much battery power.  The batteries were free on a lifetime warranty but it was hassle going to the shop.

Anyway, I was bought a solar watch for my birthday that year...  Then Covid came along, I stopped going out so much and was worried about a watch getting contaminated when I was out, so I haven't worn a watch at all for over 12 months now...so that was kind of pointless.  🤦‍♂️

On that note have you signed the petition? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

On that note have you signed the petition? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

It's over 🤣 they only last 6 months...

• Haha 1

I haven't worn a watch for 30 yrs or so. Got in the way while working. 

Just now, StephenFord said:

It's over 🤣 they only last 6 months...

Better change the title of this thread to something else then 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

I haven't worn a watch for 30 yrs or so. Got in the way while working. 

Crikey, I have worn a watch daily for over 50 years, I'd feel undressed without one...

I have one of those Seiko kinetic, had it about 20 years I think.  

13 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I have one of those Seiko kinetic, had it about 20 years I think.  

I do too, but they're a nuisance to keep going unless you constantly wear it. I discovered an old induction charger I had from a broken toothbrush works a treat on it LOL

That has happened to this thread? Lol 
Best type of heating and how to fix your watch..Topic change to General OAP chat required. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Crikey, I have worn a watch daily for over 50 years, I'd feel undressed without one...

It does take some getting used to!  My wrist felt naked for a good few weeks... :laugh: 

I also stopped carrying my wallet (except for shopping trips) which felt equally weird.  Though it's the first year that I haven't had to replace any broken debit or loyalty cards.

19 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I do too, but they're a nuisance to keep going unless you constantly wear it. I discovered an old induction charger I had from a broken toothbrush works a treat on it LOL

I was offered a kinetic but declined for that reason, wasn't sure I'd make enough wrist movements to keep it running.

50 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It does take some getting used to!  My wrist felt naked for a good few weeks... :laugh: 

I was offered a kinetic but declined for that reason, wasn't sure I'd make enough wrist movements to keep it running.

Are you sure? 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

Are you sure? 😂😂😂😂😂

I just got that LOL 😂

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I just got that LOL 😂

What? You got sore wrist too? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As this is now the eco thread, thought I'd stick this here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154105854933

Has anyone else seen boxed oil!?  First I've seen of it!  Presumably done to reduce to plastic waste, and space in the recycling truck as oil bottles can't be squashed flat.  Can't help wondering if the box will be strong enough to hold steady, or if it'll just collapse sending pints of oil across the engine bay... :laugh: 

(PS - @iantt just noticed you've passed 11k posts!)

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Has anyone else seen boxed oil!? 

In the 40s/50s oil use to be sold in a cardboard box with metal lid that you pierced with a can opener! We use to be alot 'greener' before mass consumerism took over...

EDIT Forgot to mention, totally off 'oil' topic, but my nanny never left the house for shopping without a string netted bag to carry stuff. She wouldn't have dreamt of using plastic bags. It wasn't being 'green', it was just the war generation appreciating the scarcity of stuff as they never threw anything away as it was so hard to get in the first place...

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club