Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine randomly not turning over after being on

Ford_lover38

Hi there,

My car (Ford focus petrol 1.6 2009) has an intermittent issue when trying to start. Most recently, the car would not start then after around 30 minutes it then was fine.

Randomly after drives, then car would not start again in the same way. When the car doesn’t start:
- the battery is not flat (lights, radio etc are working)
- when turning the key there is no click
- when turning the key, the engine just doesn’t turn (no cranking/staring noise)
- the battery and engine light remains on when the car doesn’t start.

Like I said, after waiting a while the car seems to always start again. Any ideas what this could be?

18 minutes ago, Ford_lover38 said:

Hi there,

My car (Ford focus petrol 1.6 2009) has an intermittent issue when trying to start. Most recently, the car would not start then after around 30 minutes it then was fine.

Randomly after drives, then car would not start again in the same way. When the car doesn’t start:
- when turning the key, the engine just doesn’t turn (no cranking/staring noise)

Like I said, after waiting a while the car seems to always start again. Any ideas what this could be?

Could be the starter motor on its way out or the chip in your key no communicating to disable the immobiliser. Best to get a code reader on it. 

1 minute ago, F0CUE said:

Could be the starter motor on its way out or the chip in your key no communicating to disable the immobiliser. Best to get a code reader on it. 

OBD reader? I used the forScan software to check for any fault codes but nothing was showing. Do you think its the fuse for the immobiliser? 

Hi, I have had this problem myself many years ago. It turned out to be the wire on the terminal of the starter solenoid was corroded and making a poor connection.

From memory I think the starter solenoid is mounterd directly on the side of the starter motor on your car. Take a look at the wires (the smaller ones) going to the solenoid especially the point at which they connect, it is very likely you will find the wire/terminal showing signs of corrosion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi, I have had this problem myself many years ago. It turned out to be the wire on the terminal of the starter solenoid was corroded and making a poor connection.

From memory I think the starter solenoid is mounterd directly on the side of the starter motor on your car. Take a look at the wires (the smaller ones) going to the solenoid especially the point at which they connect, it is very likely you will find the wire/terminal showing signs of corrosion.

Thanks for this. I’ll have a look at those and see what I can find.

14 hours ago, Ford_lover38 said:

Hi there,

NORMAL, after its done a fair few miles

if parked on the flat, put in second gear let off the handbrake and rock the car.... then all is normal (on a hill just let it try to roll in gear for 1/2 metre)

I believe its a bit of swarf on the flywheel ring gear that stops the starter engaging, before it meshes it won't crank.. (the starter gear with the ring gear ).  What is odd on car's with a very low battery the click you hear is the starter moving in to engagement.... but in the condition these ford's get in its silent...

happened to a mate multiple times on his (he taught me the trick - after AA showed him how to stop calling them out) and mine did it twice over 6 month period...... Not done it for 3 years now... I guess the swarf fell off ???

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Botus said:

NORMAL, after its done a fair few miles

if parked on the flat, put in second gear let off the handbrake and rock the car.... then all is normal (on a hill just let it try to roll in gear for 1/2 metre)

I believe its a bit of swarf on the flywheel ring gear that stops the starter engaging, before it meshes it won't crank.. (the starter gear with the ring gear ).  What is odd on car's with a very low battery the click you hear is the starter moving in to engagement.... but in the condition these ford's get in its silent...

happened to a mate multiple times on his (he taught me the trick - after AA showed him how to stop calling them out) and mine did it twice over 6 month period...... Not done it for 3 years now... I guess the swarf fell off ???

Interesting! Might give that a go. It got into a weird state yesterday where it wouldn’t start at all, I wish I’d known this then! At the moment it starts fine, then if i turn it off then straight back on it will not start again until I wait a while. So annoying!

won't crank or won't start.  very different faults, clarity helps.

On MANY cars (although not read about on a ford) the CPS fails around the 10 year mark (crank position sensor - that tells the engine management the fact its turning over and or the position its in) . 

Usually stalling in traffic, throwing the EML and often running perfectly well but then won't fire up after parking when the engine is hot.... wait 30 mins and it behaves OK.  You can drive round like this for a year till it progressively becomes worse.  Swap the 30 quid sensor all is normal for another 10 years 55 - 70k miles

6 hours ago, Botus said:

won't crank or won't start.  very different faults, clarity helps.

On MANY cars (although not read about on a ford) the CPS fails around the 10 year mark (crank position sensor - that tells the engine management the fact its turning over and or the position its in) . 

Usually stalling in traffic, throwing the EML and often running perfectly well but then won't fire up after parking when the engine is hot.... wait 30 mins and it behaves OK.  You can drive round like this for a year till it progressively becomes worse.  Swap the 30 quid sensor all is normal for another 10 years 55 - 70k miles

Sorry, i meant not cranking. Funny you mention the crank sensor, I actually replaced that a year ago with an OEM replacement. Going to change the starter relay tomorrow hopefully that could help, a quick and cheap step to try i suppose.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club