Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with hatch struts sticking.

jace1969

I have a 2011 Titanium 1.6 and the struts on the hatch i have never solved, if i lift it up it sticks up to and over half way and don't lift itself until over half way.

I have tried some new ones from a firm that a few have used on here going back 6 months but were just the same and also got some second hand ones but the same.

Are there stronger ones out there say for a larger Hatch like the Focus but will fit mine as im having no luck at all.

Hey, i had a similar issue with my fiesta however it was due to the struts being warn out, i would reccomend struts from emerald struts
https://emeraldstruts.com/collections/models/products/fiesta-ford

these are the ones i got for my car, also they have a helper spring at the shut position that allso means you can open the boot from your key rather than just popping the latch, they are however out of stock right now, but i have had mine on my car since september 2020 and they are still working very well. they are fairly stiff though so as long as you don't mind it being a bit harder to close the boot they are great

7 minutes ago, Neb_engineer said:

Hey, i had a similar issue with my fiesta however it was due to the struts being warn out, i would reccomend struts from emerald struts

these are the ones i got for my car, also they have a helper spring at the shut position that allso means you can open the boot from your key rather than just popping the latch, they are however out of stock right now, but i have had mine on my car since september 2020 and they are still working very well. they are fairly stiff though so as long as you don't mind it being a bit harder to close the boot they are great

Cheers for that,i will go on their site and see if i can send a email and get a price,i have tried 3 sets now and 1 set as i said came from a top place than a few on here told me to try but didn't do the trick.

I want them strong so they open much more before half way as i can get as mine are over half way and just stick there.

11 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

Cheers for that,i will go on their site and see if i can send a email and get a price,i have tried 3 sets now and 1 set as i said came from a top place than a few on here told me to try but didn't do the trick.

I want them strong so they open much more before half way as i can get as mine are over half way and just stick there.

as i say these are very stong, all i have to do is release the boot latch from my key and they open the boot without me even having to touch the boot lid

I have e-mailed them for some more info when they will be back into stock.

Cheers for that as if these don't solve it there must be some problem somewhere but can't see how.

• Like 1

Have you tried knocking the boot lid hinge pins from side to side. Could be corrosion making the hinges very stiff

• Like 1

I have put 2 new hinges the ones with the 10mm nut  on just to see if they were bent or something,got to say it is a pain as it just doesn't lift it just sticks.

Hi Jason, was the tailgate sticking when you bought the car or is it something that has got worse over time ?

On 4/3/2021 at 7:52 PM, unofix said:

Hi Jason, was the tailgate sticking when you bought the car or is it something that has got worse over time ?

I never noticed it but then again i was so happy to have the car,i would of picked up on it then but it has got worse and been like it for a nice few years.

I had the car from Ford dealer and person before had it from that dealer,i had it just over 3 years old as he had a new one.

I had an  E-mail from this firm above and said they don't stock or do them for the 2011 Titanium so i aint got a clue,i was thinking if there were other struts that would fit which have to lift a heavier Hatch like the focus.

Just wondering if the car might have had a little rear shunt, nothing major, and not enough to have the tailgate replaced but enough that things don't quite line up as they should.

When the tailgate is closed does the gap round the edge seem equal all the way around?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Just wondering if the car might have had a little rear shunt, nothing major, and not enough to have the tailgate replaced but enough that things don't quite line up as they should.

When the tailgate is closed does the gap round the edge seem equal all the way around?

Yes the gap on both sides seem the same and cant see anything on the floor or new rear bumper and stuff,i just cant seem to solver it at all.

Struts can go stiff . My remedy if they are sound is to remove them , one at a time and grease the upper and lower fittings with silicone grease. a smear on the extended rod and replace. Spray the hinges with a light oil. It should help.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, anon said:

Struts can go stiff . My remedy if they are sound is to remove them , one at a time and grease the upper and lower fittings with silicone grease. a smear on the extended rod and replace. Spray the hinges with a light oil. It should help.

The ones i have on now which were new i had from i think it's called SGS which had very very good reviews but i will try that as yes these ones are very stiff as when you open the hatch you can tell there like tight and a bit hard to lift but the Ford ones i removed wasn't stiff there just lifted smooth just stuck like no power to lift so you could put them at any height and would just stop there.

Thanks for the advice will try that but all i have is 3 in 1 oil or wd40.

Hi Jason, don't use WD40 on the gas struts as it will wash the lubricant out of the seals. If all you have is 3 in 1 oil it's not ideal but perhaps better than nothing, just don't go overboard when putting it on the strut slider.

• Like 1

Stiff or not, the struts don't lift the tailgate with any force; just a nice counterbalance in order that it closes without having to strain and slam.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 7:49 PM, anon said:

Stiff or not, the struts don't lift the tailgate with any force; just a nice counterbalance in order that it closes without having to strain and slam.

So do you mean when you lift the tailgate it will stop there even over halfway up,i know it don't go up with any force,i have put some silicone grease on and a lot better.

Another thing that Emerald Struts have emailed me to say there struts are back in stock,i will put the link below but i didn't know they are the Auto ones with a spring and £68 a pair, but they do have 12 months guarantee.............What you think and would you try them, as said i didn't know they were the Auto open ones,also the picture which shows you them working is the 7.5 are they the same fitting on the Facelift as mine is the 2011 Titanium.

Hi Jason, I see on their website is says:

AVAILABLE FOR FORD FIESTA:

• MK7 & 7.5

So I think they either do fit or that they have alternative that fit.

I've noticed on all cars I have ever owned which have a hatchback, that when washing the car, I always open the hatch after when I am drying off the car and notice small amounts of water run down the struts, as there is a water channel round the edges of where the door is, I always open the hatch to dry off this area too. I bet over time if you leave the water on the struts that won't do the struts much good, over time.

I remember years ago having mk1 Astra's the struts would lock in the open position without any noticeable warning, of course you aren't aware they are locked open until you try to shut the hatch....then bang, it rips off the welded strut mount off the hatch door.

9 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

I've noticed on all cars I have ever owned which have a hatchback, that when washing the car, I always open the hatch after when I am drying off the car and notice small amounts of water run down the struts, as there is a water channel round the edges of where the door is, I always open the hatch to dry off this area too. I bet over time if you leave the water on the struts that won't do the struts much good, over time.

I remember years ago having mk1 Astra's the struts would lock in the open position without any noticeable warning, of course you aren't aware they are locked open until you try to shut the hatch....then bang, it rips off the welded strut mount off the hatch door.

aslong as you don't let the piston of the strut go rusty, this is a non issue as all the struts have seals on on them to stop both water getting in and the small amount of oil in them from escaping,think for instance like your shocks in your supension

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Hi Jason, I see on their website is says:

AVAILABLE FOR FORD FIESTA:

• MK7 & 7.5

So I think they either do fit or that they have alternative that fit.

they definitly would fit as both the MK7 and 7.5 are the same in the rear interms of the boot strut mounting design and the rear hatch, most of the facelift changes happened on the inside of the car aside from the actual design of the front of the car

• Like 1

Cheers for all your advice,very tempted to try these as do have a 12 months warranty anyway.

I always open the hatch and doors/bonnet and dry it as you said the water goes everywhere.

Strange that a lot on here wanted auto tailgate opening and these are what these do but not heard a lot of people having any,i just wanted good strong struts but if these do work it's another plus.

• Like 1

Ok got yet another set off e-bay genuine ford from breakers off a 2014 car and very cheap £9.50, and they work A1.

So most expensive ones don't always work as i had a set before ford ones and twice the price and was no good also new ones off SGS and didn't work.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club