Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Footwell getting very hot

gillybean

I’ve had my brand new puma for around 3 weeks. It is really great and I’ve been so happy with it. It has 200 miles on the clock.

The past few days I’ve noticed that the side of the centre console in the driver’s footwell is getting literally burning hot when it is driven (I burned my leg on it today). Even when only driving say 3 miles it is so hot that it can’t be touched.

vehicle is 1.0 ecoboost hybrid.

anyone else had a similar problem? I’ve called the dealer and they are going to call me Monday morning but it is so bad I literally can’t drive it!

11 hours ago, gillybean said:

I’ve had my brand new puma for around 3 weeks. It is really great and I’ve been so happy with it. It has 200 miles on the clock.

The past few days I’ve noticed that the side of the centre console in the driver’s footwell is getting literally burning hot when it is driven (I burned my leg on it today). Even when only driving say 3 miles it is so hot that it can’t be touched.

vehicle is 1.0 ecoboost hybrid.

anyone else had a similar problem? I’ve called the dealer and they are going to call me Monday morning but it is so bad I literally can’t drive it!

If it is as hot as you say, I wouldn't drive it until the dealer gets back to you, Warm is ok but if it has burned your skin then I would think there is a danger of it catching fire.

It'll just be the location of the heater matrix pipes.  The matrix is always heated by engine coolant regardless of the outside temperature.

I suspect Ford will find no fault and just just suggest that you don't touch it or wear longer trousers/skirts.  Is the console really so close in the Puma that you can't avoid it? 

Not sure where the Exhaust catalistic converter is situated on the Puma but they get exceedingly very Hot it may be fitted close to the floor panel or the heat shield missing I would get it checked out at the dealership very soon.

Lol, just to throw another one into the pot - could it be the lithium battery for the hybrid system? I understand they can get very hot if faulty.

It'll be very interesting to see what it actually turns out to be!😀

I will keep you all posted - I haven’t driven it since as it is frankly dangerous. I got the thermometer out when I got back and the temperature was off the scale. I doubt that they could tell me just don’t wear shorts! I have a scald mark on my leg and even wearing trousers it was too hot after 3 miles to continue driving. 
I would literally be handing the car back if they tried to tell me that!! There is very clearly a fault!

Ok so update is that Ford replicated the fault. So far it appears that a blanking plate covering the heater matrix is missing. And so they are looking to fix that. Full acknowledgment that it should never have been getting that hot. Just waiting to see if that solves it completely and whether it can be done without replacing the whole heater matrix assembly…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, gillybean said:

Just waiting to see if that solves it completely and whether it can be done without replacing the whole heater matrix assembly…

Thanks for keeping us all updated, always good to know what the cause of problems are. The dealership must be dreading trying to fix this. If it turns that the heater matrix has to be replaced in will involve taking the entire dashboard out, which no matter how good a job they do always ends up with squeeks and rattles afterwards.

I wish you good luck and hope they get it fixed quickly.

20 hours ago, unofix said:

Thanks for keeping us all updated, always good to know what the cause of problems are. The dealership must be dreading trying to fix this. If it turns that the heater matrix has to be replaced in will involve taking the entire dashboard out, which no matter how good a job they do always ends up with squeeks and rattles afterwards.

I wish you good luck and hope they get it fixed quickly.

Yes they explained that to me… thankfully they were able to fit the blanking plate without having to do that!

Got the car back yesterday with relief! From both me and the garage! It was the missing blanking plate that was the problem and that fixed it. They were definitely relieved it wasn’t something more sinister!
Excellent service from Ford though - car was recovered, a courtesy car dropped off at my door, problem solved within a week.

• Like 3

Glad you got it sorted Gilly but a bit worrying about factory build quality for owners and people like me who have a Puma on order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, Vendee said:

Glad you got it sorted Gilly but a bit worrying about factory build quality for owners and people like me who have a Puma on order.

I love the car very much, despite this glitch occurring, if that’s any comfort. Drives beautifully. And Ford were excellent when a problem presented itself - especially the Dealer we used. We recently had an appalling incident with Renault on a warranty car so Ford gave us an excellent comparison 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club