Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Probably the worst Streetka in the UK

CarolineKT4

Hi,

I need a bit of help to get my 2005 Streetka through an MOT retest, probably won't be able to get everything done within 10 working days but will try. 

Problems that concern me are:

1. Can't open boot - I could when it failed MOT on Saturday. I think the solenoid in the boot was on the way out as it always took many attempts to open from the fob, but since doing a shop on the way home from the MOT centre, it can't open from the key in the lock between the seats. Also the key fob doesn't work with the door locks either - we've put in another CR2032 and not the battery.

2. It failed on the rear windows which is totally discoloured and daylight is just about visible, but can't understand why the very same tester didn't fail it 12 months ago (180 miles ago) it has got no worse over the last five years and always rely on wind mirrors. Ordered some amazing convertible plastic window cleaner on eBay yesterday which I have zero faith in.

3. Shouldn't have bothered with the rear window cleaner, other half in trying to sort the boot issue out put the roof down to ensure roof storage cover was closed properly and the window cracked. Ironic, since if this happened before the MOT we would have been able to remove the window and it wouldn't have failed on this. Replacement windows are around £100 - how easy are these to replace. Are they just on a zip and covered by velcro? How long would a garage take to do one, or is it something an idiot husband who breaks windows could do?

4.  Other failures are windscreen washer not working and have ordered a motor for this assuming that's the problem but haven't looked at that yet.

5. I got a friend to replace the front coil springs to pass last years MOT and need the rears done this year and the nsf brake hose.

6. Plus I need a new clutch.

So, all in all, could be very expensive and need to look at whether I keep it or get rid.

Many thanks,

Caroline

17 hours ago, CarolineKT4 said:

2. It failed on the rear windows which is totally discoloured and daylight is just about visible, but can't understand why the very same tester didn't fail it 12 months ago (180 miles ago) it has got no worse over the last five years and always rely on wind mirrors. Ordered some amazing convertible plastic window cleaner on Ebay yesterday which I have zero faith in.

I can't understand how you can fail an MOT because you can't see out of the rear window. So long as you have 2 good fully working door mirrors then that meets the requirements. Just take a look around at the thousands of vans on the road that have no rear windows and they all pass an MOT.

• Like 1

Agreed, take it somewhere else. Vans do not have rear windows. But vans aren't cars

Perhaps if you remove the interior rear view mirror it will no longer fail

When you do manage to get into the boot try and fit a manual release cable that runs to the interior

Thanks both of you.

The tester's a complete arsehole. As he was finishing the testing I asked him if there were any issues and he said only easy fixes, they could do there. Ten minutes later he's coming out with this nonsense. You've not been able to see through the rear window in years - why now? I would love to take it back to him, fixed and with the window removed just to ***** him off that he didn't the work.

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Central Rear Window seriously discoloured and affecting the driver's view of an obligatory external mirror (3.2 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded so that its cross sectional area is reduced and seriously weakened (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Rear Coil spring corroded so that its cross sectional area is reduced and seriously weakened (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Front Brake hose excessively chafed (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
  • Front battery insecure and likely to fall from carrier (4.13 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Windscreen washer not working (3.5 (a))
  • Offside Front Windscreen washer not working (3.5 (a))
  • Nearside Rear Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))

Plus the clutch and the rear screen.

I've had a look at section 3.2 a-ii and it reads "(a) Windscreen or window damaged or seriously discoloured: (i) but not adversely affecting driver’s view Minor (ii) and affecting the driver’s view of the road or of an obligatory external mirror Major 

It depends how you interpret it, but a bit difficult to argue against.

If my friend hadn't moved, I could get him to do the coil springs and brake hose and I have washer motor ready to go in. What's the cheapest way to get fixed, plus a rear screen (£100 from ebay) and clutch.

Main problem is, tax ran out today and I only have two or three weeks before I get a fixed penalty fine. It's parked outside and I can't move it to private road with rear window hanging out.

Any ideas how I get in the boot? The only thing is I can open the hood storage - is their something I can pull there?

IIRC you have to have a mirror on the right.  And you have to have one other mirror which can be on the left or in the middle.   The middle mirror is only an obligatory mirror if the one on the left is not there.  So is your left mirror missing?  

Both wing mirrors are perfect and how I see what's behind.

Decided to scrap it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CarolineKT4 said:

Decided to scrap it.

Sell it spares or repair, you'll get more

But with no tax and no where to park off road sometimes that isn’t practical and you just have to get rid right now before you get fined and clamped

• Like 1

Tbf there is a middle ground...plenty of places offering to buy cars 'in any condition' that may offer more than scrap value and take it quickly.

Realistically though, will a knackered 17 year old StreetKa have any salvageable parts, let alone be worth repair costs to do up and sell on?  I suspect not sadly... :sad:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club