Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting problem

BertieB82

Hello Guys and Gals, 

Newbie here, 

I've recently purchased a 2009 Zetec S 1.8, 

I've only had it for 1 month but a issue has popped up, where when starting the engine it fires into life but then the revs drop and it cuts out, 2nd time starting the engine it's fine and then drives fine.. Weird.. 

I've had it back to the garage, they've had it for 1 week of the month I've owned it, 

They have sent dash clocks away as that's a common problem apparently? Thinking it was an immobiliser issue but no change, 

Fitted a new throttle body, new throttle position sensor and new plugs, all have made no difference. 

There are no error codes present

Theyve said run it for a week see if it improves, but clearly isn't going to. 

I go away on holiday in just over a week on a long drive and would hate for it to fail on me. 

Anyone have any thoughts? Sounds more of a fuel issue to me but thought that would have showed on a scanner 🤔

Also another issue, no idea what this is but there is a relay clicking sound coming from the passenger footwell, it clicks roughly every 10 seconds 🙈🤯 this doesn't appear to effect anything its just annoying lol

Sorry for the long post

3 hours ago, BertieB82 said:

more of a fuel issue to me but thought that would have showed on a scanner 🤔

If you are using a generic scanner then it probably won't show up.

Download and use the software FORScan which is as close to the Ford dealer software that you can get.

FORScan (use a laptop, not the WiFi/Bluetooth version): https://forscan.org/download.html

Connecting lead 'vLinker FS' : https://www.obd2shop.co.uk/wholesale/vgate-vlinker-fs-elm327-for-ford.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxb2XBhDBARIsAOjDZ35SeNZYWsn1fIOCSi8tMNMfltIIiJY_m2dvnfPv5ZMLy7avsFLtegMaAo5yEALw_wcB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, unofix said:

If you are using a generic scanner then it probably won't show up.

Download and use the software FORScan which is as close to the Ford dealer software that you can get.

FORScan (use a laptop, not the WiFi/Bluetooth version): https://forscan.org/download.html

Connecting lead 'vLinker FS' : https://www.obd2shop.co.uk/wholesale/vgate-vlinker-fs-elm327-for-ford.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxb2XBhDBARIsAOjDZ35SeNZYWsn1fIOCSi8tMNMfltIIiJY_m2dvnfPv5ZMLy7avsFLtegMaAo5yEALw_wcB

Thankyou for your reply 😊

My sisters partner has a scanner also so going to try his too, 

He has suggested possibly fuel pressure sensor, which would also make sense after google'ing as I'm getting poor mpg too. 

One more thing, it currently has a k&n filter fitted which I'm looking to replace to standard. I did run fine with this however in the first couple weeks I had it, so can't see it been that.. I dunno?? 

On a plus note, I got to the bottom of the clicking, turns out the rear wiper had been disconnected, and the stalk was in the wiper position "on" so it's been active all this time wiping but not wiping 🙈

There are effectively two different levels of DTC's on many manufactures vehicles. Level 1 the DTC's which are common to all manufactures and comply with the standards set for the OBDII port diagnostics. Generic code readers will read these DTC's with out a problem (in most cases).

Level 2 DTC's are codes which are specific to the manufacturer. Using a generic code reader it can be expected that only some but not all of these DTC's will be read.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club