Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'71 Plate, ST-Line X Edition - fitting an OEM reversing camera possible?

Zaphod_B

Looking at buying a 71 Plate (Dec 21) ST-Line X Edition.

Has front & rear parking sensors but no reversing camera.

Is it (a) possible to fit an OEM reversing camera (I'm assuming the the wiring loom across all models is the same so it would be just a plug in rather than a re-wire?)

(b) if so, is this a DIY job or Ford Dealer thing?

(c) if DIY, is any reprogramming of the car's electrics required?  If so, HOW and what else may be required?

(d) if Dealer-fit, any idea of the sort of price I'd be looking at (parts & labour)?

(e) any third-party companies that can do this and tie it into the car's electronics/touchscreen??

Thanks

Zaph

On 10/2/2022 at 10:06 PM, Zaphod_B said:

(a) possible to fit an OEM reversing camera

Yes, kind of.

(I'm assuming the the wiring loom across all models is the same so it would be just a plug in rather than a re-wire?)

You assume wrong. In most cases the full wiring will not be there.

(b) if so, is this a DIY job or Ford Dealer thing?

It can be done by a very competent DIY individual. Ford dealerships will not retro fit OEM systems

(c) if DIY, is any reprogramming of the car's electrics required?  If so, HOW and what else may be required?

Yes the APIM and possibly BCM will require software changes. It can be done using FORScan software and the new vLinker FS connection cable.

(d) if Dealer-fit, any idea of the sort of price I'd be looking at (parts & labour)?

Ford dealers offer various different types of aftermarket solutions. Typically around £400 to £500 supplied and fitted depending on the system.

(e) any third-party companies that can do this and tie it into the car's electronics/touchscreen??

Quite a lot of companies able to retro fit the OEM system (or very close to it), but not all of them are able to get the parking lines to move with the steering. Search with Google for companies near you.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, unofix said:

Ford dealers offer various different types of aftermarket solutions. Typically around £400 to £500 supplied and fitted depending on the system.

Quite a lot of companies able to retro fit the OEM system (or very close to it), but not all of them are able to get the parking lines to move with the steering. Search with Google for companies near you.

Thanks for the comprehensive replies Unofix

Just one supplemental question related to the above - would these use the car's built-in screen?

In other words, with a car that has a factory-fit reversing camera, you select reverse and the camera view appears in the large screen.  Would the Ford aftermarket or third-party solutions do the same?

Thanks

Zaph

3 hours ago, Zaphod_B said:

Would the Ford aftermarket

normally has separate screen.

3 hours ago, Zaphod_B said:

third-party solutions do the same?

uses the cars built in screen. It will have the parking lines on the screen but not all companies can offer the solution which has the lines move.

I fitted my own after market reverse camera and integrated with the cars own screen. You can buy after market camera for about £30 and a connecting lead for the APIM for about £15. Then all you need is a day to pull your car completely to bits (not for the faint hearted) and a bit of programming using FORScan and the jobs done. This solution does not give moving parking lines but for £45 I can live with that.

Hi again Unofix

Apparently Halfords do a number-plate reversing camera for £99.99 and will fit it (presumably that means wiring it in, not just swapping the number plate light assembly) for £80.

Sounds like an absolute bargain.  Link:  Motormax Ford reversing camera

Anyone had any experience of this?

Zaph

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zaphod_B said:

Anyone had any experience of this?

That's extremely similar to what I fitted to my car. Note that Halfords do say 'Static Parking Lines' which is often the case.

£99.99 to supply and fit is a decent price.

Hi Unofix

That's £99.99 for the unit and a further £80 to fit, not £99.99 to supply & fit.

Going to post a question in the forum asking if anyone has had experience of this (good or bad).

However, I still think £179.99 seems to be a reasonable price in my opinion (I'm talking about my daughter's new car here so she may disagree - she often does).

Regarding the ststic parking lines I saw somewhere else that if you car has sensors, the parking lines become dynamic *shrugs*

Zaph

• Like 1

ah well £99.9 for the unit and £80 to fit is still not to bad of a price. It does involve a lot of work to fit.

The moving parking lines get there information from the steering angle sensor and requires some 'black magic' software changes and possibly extra hardware (not sure on that). My car has front and rear parking sensors and I do have the little graphic in the top right hand corner of the screen when reversing with coloured warnings as I get close. So it's still a very useful system and better than no camera.

I must admit, I am really pleased with the quality of the OEM reversing camera on the Focus, even in the dark. Had it on a Nissan Qashqai previously and they are terrible with really poor image quality

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club