Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec business - Upgrading to auto lights?

Thom90

Hi all,

after some advice please. I have had new cars for the past five years all fitted with auto lights. Have gone ‘back in time’ I am constantly forgetting to turn my lights on which is embarrassing if not dangerous.

I’ve bought an auto light switch from eBay (grand total of £15) and hope this may be plug and play however realise I’m missing auto dimming rear view and also rain sensitive wipers.

I do appear to have the rain sensor on my windscreen which I believe controls the auto lights. Should my new switch be plug and play? My hesitation is that I have what appears to be the rain sensor but no rain sensitive wiper and I also rear the auto dimming mirror may help to control the light system so may need this too?

45 minutes ago, Thom90 said:

I do appear to have the rain sensor on my windscreen which I believe controls the auto lights.

I don't think it does. I think there's a separate sensor which detects ambient light level - nothing to do with if there's rain on the windscreen

46 minutes ago, Thom90 said:

Should my new switch be plug and play?

Doubt it - without the light sensor.

47 minutes ago, Thom90 said:

I have what appears to be the rain sensor but no rain sensitive wiper

I don't think Ford go to the expense of fitting a rain sensor if it doesn't have rain sensitive wipers.

48 minutes ago, Thom90 said:

I also rear the auto dimming mirror

Sorry - not clear what you mean.  Do you have an auto-dimming mirror?

50 minutes ago, Thom90 said:

... I am constantly forgetting to turn my lights on which is embarrassing if not dangerous...

:laugh: Honestly, the youth of today, the trials of having to use a button to turn your lights on LOL My god, how did I ever drive a car where you had to use a choke to start the car and turn it off when it warmed up. I'm amazed more people aren't killed having to press buttons on their car :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: How did us oldies ever survive to this age...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

:laugh: Honestly, the youth of today, the trials of having to use a button to turn your lights on LOL My god, how did I ever drive a car where you had to use a choke to start the car and turn it off when it warmed up. I'm amazed more people aren't killed having to press buttons on their car :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: How did us oldies ever survive to this age...

You see - I have had the luxury of semi-autonomous vehicles for these past years I’ve become increasingly reliant! Even my fairly mundane VW camper has auto lights, select and forget! I’d be harking back to around 2012 since I had to ‘remember’ to manually turn my lights on 😂 

11 minutes ago, Thom90 said:

You see - I have had the luxury of semi-autonomous vehicles for these past years I’ve become increasingly reliant! Even my fairly mundane VW camper has auto lights, select and forget! I’d be harking back to around 2012 since I had to ‘remember’ to manually turn my lights on 😂 

It's obviously an age thing. I had to rent a car a couple years back, a Renault Captur, it had auto lights, and auto wipers. I absolutely hated them. I like to be in control of a car when I'm driving it. That's one (!) reason I do not like EVs, you can't even turn the temperature up/down without going into a sub menu on an obscure touch screen, not idea;l when you're looking ahead at 70mph. Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned button, or rotary knob. LOL

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club