Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened to my BBC news widget on Android 10?

StephenFord
聽Share

I've had a BBC news widget since owning a smartphone. This morning, it had 'frozen', so I tried to get it back. Did the usual stuff, forced app stop, cleared cache, rebooted phone, removed widget totally, but on a long press on screen, it now doesn't even appear on my widget list (though BBC sport does)

How do I get it back?

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

it now doesn't even appear on my widget list (though BBC sport does)

How do I get it back?

Have you looked over to the hard left of your screen it's where you find most BBC news 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DiOnIsIs said:

You need this version聽 https://apkpure.com/bbc-news/bbc.mobile.news.ww/download

The play store one doesn't work

Thank you for sharing this. I have very limited experience of APK files, apart from one, last year which was a 'calendar' type app. It really screwed my phone up and took an age to fix.

If I knew what I was doing, and was much braver, I'd have no hesitation experimenting with provided link, but thank you anyway...

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday, I have a OnePlus phone and my widget just vanished.聽 Is the apk link above safe, anyone tried it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattyboy76 said:

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday, I have a OnePlus phone and my widget just vanished.聽 Is the apk link above safe, anyone tried it?

Encouraging to hear someone else with same issue - BBC News app was updated end of June, now v 6.4.0. It's odd that I can't find the issue discussed anywhere else despite extensive google searches!

Hi Stephen. Here's the comment I've had through Google Play as I noticed the widget had gone this week from my phone.聽

Developer response:

Hi - the BBC News App will soon be receiving a significant update to improve the overall experience. As part of these changes the widget would not have continued to work correctly, so we have had to take it away for now. We will carry on reviewing feedback to understand the role it has played.
On 7/5/2023 at 8:13 AM, StephenFord said:

I've had a BBC news widget since owning a smartphone. This morning, it had 'frozen', so I tried to get it back. Did the usual stuff, forced app stop, cleared cache, rebooted phone, removed widget totally, but on a long press on screen, it now doesn't even appear on my widget list (though BBC sport does)

How do I get it back?

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

It's odd that I can't find the issue discussed anywhere else despite extensive google searches!

It just shows how well BBC censorship is working 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

I gave up 24/7 news during the pandemic, as did a few other people I know.聽 Realised the vast majority of it doesn't affect me so was just raising my stress levels for no benefit! :rolleyes:

Can also say that I don't trust any large news outlet to be giving us the full facts about anything anyway!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I gave up 24/7 news during the pandemic, as did a few other people I know.聽 Realised the vast majority of it doesn't affect me so was just raising my stress levels for no benefit! :rolleyes:

Can also say that I don't trust any large news outlet to be giving us the full facts about anything anyway!

I liked the widget because it alerted me to breaking news. I then followed it up on other sources, not the BBC. I have not trusted the BBC following their Brexit coverage, and latterly, their appalling coverage of the pandemic - next slide please...

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:21 PM, Smartmart59 said:

Hi Stephen. Here's the comment I've had through Google Play as I noticed the widget had gone this week from my phone.聽

Developer response:

Hi - the BBC News App will soon be receiving a significant update to improve the overall experience. As part of these changes the widget would not have continued to work correctly, so we have had to take it away for now. We will carry on reviewing feedback to understand the role it has played.

Many thanks for that. I also discovered a thread on Reddit which at least confirmed that it wasn't just me and a fault with my phone!

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

That's an interesting username. :laugh:

Well spotted, I'm sure the FOC would never permit such a name LOL 馃ぃ

• Haha 3

Got widget back by reverting back to v 6.3.0, link here:

https://m.apkpure.com/bbc-news/bbc.mobile.news.uk/download/6030000-APK

I removed v 6.4.0, then downloaded above APK file to phone. Had no idea where it went, so did a 'BBC' search on my file manager.

Installed it, and widget appeared back in list. I also then went into GooglePlay, and disabled the BBC app from auto updating.

Feeling pretty darn smug now 馃槀

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club