Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'At a glance' google widget - how to remove???

StephenFord

On my home Android 10 phone screen, I now have what is called, a google, 'at a glance' widget. Didn't ask for it, no idea how it installed, but want rid of it, but can't!

All online instructions say, long hold it, then drag it to top of screen to remove. But, a long hold does nothing. Only other things I've read are how to remove google assistant, but I don't want to do that.

Anyone know how to get rid of this abomination?

widget.thumb.jpeg.f4bee227d8b46b94457b53eaee3a7a6e.jpeg

• Sad 1

I just installed widget on one of my phone pages. Then just dragged to remove. 

Screenshot_20231007-224536.png

Screenshot_20231007-224554.png

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Didn't ask for it, no idea how it installed,

You have my sympathy. A long time ago I had an iPhone 4s (It's OK, I've had therapy and I've been cured) one of the things I hated most about the whole iOS was the fact it would decide what I wanted and how I wanted it. I long for the days of my Nokia when i got to choose what, when and how 🤔

• Like 3

Or just unin

Just now, unofix said:

You have my sympathy. A long time ago I had an iPhone 4s (It's OK, I've had therapy and I've been cured) one of the things I hated most about the whole iOS was the fact it would decide what I wanted and how I wanted it. I long for the days of my Nokia when i got to choose what, when and how 🤔

Wasn't that long ago you could have a Nokia old style. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Wasn't that long ago you could have a Nokia old style. 

Ah! the Good old days of a Nokia 6310i ...... what more could anyone need ? 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iantt said:

I just installed widget on one of my phone pages. Then just dragged to remove.

Sadly, this one is 'locked', it does not respond to a long press at all, hence you have no control over it. It appeared after a 'google' auto update 2 days ago, and you can't roll back such an update! It's not just me though...

https://support.google.com/android/thread/238097665?hl=en&sjid=10317563549162501304-EU

12 hours ago, iantt said:

Screenshot_20231007-224554.png

Most uncomfortable clock placement I've seen...  :ermm: :laugh: 

I've also got an extra widget stuck on my home screen but not the same as Stephen's.  Oddly, I have two identical phones (one replaced the other and kept as backup, I'm not a drug dealer...) but only one gained this widget over update, the other one never did!  In my case, it's slightly irritating as it shows me two lots of time, date & weather, in different formats, but I can just put up with it now.

While we're on the subject of phones, does anyone with an older Android have issues with the Royal Mail app?  It doesn't work at all any more.  It flags up a notification box on the day of a delivery, but it's totally empty, and when I click it, the app fails to load.  Been like it for months now, have tried updating and deleting/reinstalling so guess it's a compatibility issue.

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I have two identical phones (one replaced the other and kept as backup, I'm not a drug dealer...)

Worse than that, you're a secret member of the SNP 🤣

• Haha 1

Phone battery and phones becoming incompatible are the only reason I tend to change phone. Still on the same talk talk SIM from about 10 + years ago. £3 a month .unlimited mins texts and 500mb data. At home and work on WiFi and pretty much any destination has free wifi

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

Worse than that, you're a secret member of the SNP 🤣

Snp? 

Suffolk nutters party? 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Phone battery and phones becoming incompatible are the only reason I tend to change phone. Still on the same talk talk SIM from about 10 + years ago. £3 a month .

Sounds like a rip off!  Mine is proper old school PAYG.  3p a minute, 2p a text, 1p a MB.  None of this 'monthly' stuff!  I last topped up in 2018 I think. :laugh: 

I am considering another new phone but it's difficult with my vision issues.  Even with my current phone I can only focus on one or two websites without triggering migraines.  (FOC is one of those fortunately!)  Also don't want anything bigger than my hand/pocket though, no idea why people want to carry around tablet sized phones that can't be used one-handed.  Will probably go for another Motorola, but even they have too much choice nowadays so every time I start looking I just give up! :unsure:

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

... no idea why people want to carry around tablet sized phones that can't be used one-handed. ...

Tom, when I 1st had to change from my old 12 year old Nokia, I was horrified at the size of new 'phones'. The one I've ended up with has a 5.5" screen, it's still huge, but not gigantic LOL I still have a couple of old clam Shell Motorolas in a drawer, their size was just delightful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, when I 1st had to change from my old 12 year old Nokia, I was horrified at the size of new 'phones'. The one I've ended up with has a 5.5" screen, it's still huge, but not gigantic LOL I still have a couple of old clam shell Motorolas in a drawer, their size was just delightful.

Yes, my current phone is a 5.9" display but very thin and I can just about use that one handed, I really don't want anything larger than that.  It was also a big jump from the 3.7" display of my first SmartPhone! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Just found this on internet:

It remains to be seen whether Google will update the hard-coded, unremovable At a Glance widget on Pixel phones to share a similar style, but we wouldn’t be surprised if the company stuck with the way it looks right now on its own phones. Given that the widget isn’t removable on these phones, it would make sense to keep it as low-profile as possible to keep your favorite wallpaper in view properly.

My phone is NOT a 'pixel', but appears to be infected with this awful widget anyway. I gather it simply can't be removed (yet) but I'm sure some clever app developer will offer a solution to remove it in the future...

• Sad 2

Perhaps it's just me, or my way of looking at things. What gives these people the right to impose on anyone stuff they didn't want or ask for ?

Imagine that a 'vegetarian' bought a freezer from Bosch just for example. Then one day they return home only to find Bosch have 'installed' a Turkey in the freezer draw because they thought you might need it and in fact they insist you must have it !! Would people accept that sort of behavior from the supplier of a freezer ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

Perhaps it's just me, or my way of looking at things. What gives these people the right to impose on anyone stuff they didn't want or ask for ?

I think you'll find my exact sentiments in 1st post, I didn't ask for it, I don't want it. That's entirely the reason I hate 'big' government poking their nose into every darn aspect of life. If I want to buy a battery car, I'll buy one, I don't want a law that will leave me no choice but to buy one! As for their Covid laws, well, better leave that, it's a whole different thread 🤣

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Just found this on internet:

It remains to be seen whether Google will update the hard-coded, unremovable At a Glance widget on Pixel phones to share a similar style, but we wouldn’t be surprised if the company stuck with the way it looks right now on its own phones. Given that the widget isn’t removable on these phones, it would make sense to keep it as low-profile as possible to keep your favorite wallpaper in view properly.

My phone is NOT a 'pixel', but appears to be infected with this awful widget anyway. I gather it simply can't be removed (yet) but I'm sure some clever app developer will offer a solution to remove it in the future...

Just tried it on my Galaxy S20FE and long press removes it?

Screenshot_20231008_150018_One UI Home.jpg

Can you drag it from the home screen onto a new page and then delete the new page?

1 minute ago, tomo2001 said:

Can you drag it from the home screen onto a new page and then delete the new page?

It won't drag to anywhere, a long pres has absolutely no effect on it. When I long press it, a get a small 'preferences' dialogue box...

widgetpreferences.thumb.png.05f80c04a27cfaa70e5d6cba252b5a8b.png

On pressing, 'prefernces' i get access to...

widgetpreferences.thumb.jpg.bdc29648c3dab8dd09f28948e2b702ea.jpg

If I got what you get, there wouldn't be an issue LOL

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

It won't drag to anywhere, a long pres has absolutely no effect on it. When I long press it, a get a small 'preferences' dialogue box...

widgetpreferences.thumb.png.05f80c04a27cfaa70e5d6cba252b5a8b.png

On pressing, 'prefernces' i get access to...

widgetpreferences.thumb.jpg.bdc29648c3dab8dd09f28948e2b702ea.jpg

If I got what you get, there wouldn't be an issue LOL

What phone are you using?

8 minutes ago, tomo2001 said:

What phone are you using?

CAT S52 running Android 10

26 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

CAT S52 running Android 10

Probably part of a Google update if you have apps set to Auto Update.

Have you tried Uninstalling Updates for Google?

Go to apps, Find Google, Force Stop the press then three dots at the top and Uninstall Updates from there. Might be worth trying to see if that sorts it.

Screenshot_20231008_171404_Settings.jpg

mmm... just had a look at that. Got scared off by it the message it displayed.."Replace with factory version? All data will be removed" I'm not brave enough to proceed but thanks for the suggestion... It probably would remove widget, but goodness knows what else I'd lose!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club