Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deep sleep mode constantly activating on 21 Focus

aldavies

Hey all.

I purchased my 21 Focus at the start of the year and ever since I took delivery of it, it seems the Deep Sleep mode activates constantly. As soon as I lock the car, within five minutes I get the notification.

It is recommending a long drive without the AC on to fix but I regularly drive 200+ miles in one journey, just for it to appear again.

I did buy the extended warranty so is it a case of taking it back to the dealership? 

cheers all!

IMG_6516.png

Either you’ve got a parasitic draw when off or your battery needs replacing. 

I had to replace my original battery at 3 years, the factory one is pretty weak. I replaced it with a YBX7096 it’s about £100 from Tayna. 

Sync 4 seems to be causing more battery issues in the FL. Do you have a dashcam or anything else connected that could be using power when off?

Plenty more info if you search the forums. This comes up a lot. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 11:47 PM, aldavies said:

Hey all.

I purchased my 21 Focus at the start of the year and ever since I took delivery of it, it seems the Deep Sleep mode activates constantly. As soon as I lock the car, within five minutes I get the notification.

It is recommending a long drive without the AC on to fix but I regularly drive 200+ miles in one journey, just for it to appear again.

I did buy the extended warranty so is it a case of taking it back to the dealership? 

cheers all!

IMG_6516.png

Out of curiosity, is you AC clutch engaging?

While debugging the same issue you have, I found that once the battery SOC drops below 50% the AC won't start anymore and the Deep Sleep mode is entered very soon after locking the car. 

Steps you could try before changing the battery:

1. Recharge battery (I tried recharging while it was connected to the car, but this did not help, so I charged it after disconnecting it).

2. If the deep sleep issue goes away, measure the normal sleep current draw. It should be up to 50 mA, in my case it is around 30-40 mA.

3. If you have a higher current draw while the car is locked and sleeping you need to find what is causing it, fix it and retry from Step 1

4. If there is no high current draw, you can use you car normally and see if or when the deep sleep comes back.

5.a. Deep sleep does not come back after locking car then problem solved.

5.b. Deep sleep issue returns after a short while (1 month or so) it might be a good idea to start looking for a new battery

In my case, after going through these steps, I ended up at point 5.b. I was issue free for about 6 weeks, and now it is back. SOC dropped to 48%. Car starts fine, but somehow it can never reach the 80% target SOC. I even tested the battery which appears to be fine, but even after long driver, the SOC still stays around 50%, a bit above or a bit below.

So I am now looking for the Yuasa battery as a replacement.

Hope this helps a little!

Change battery

It's well known thst the factory battery isn't strong enough for the job.

No point going to Ford as they will only replsce with the exact same battery.

I swspped mine out for a higher rated battery and solved all power problems.

Yuasa YBX7096 12V 75Ah 700A EFB... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KNQRQC6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I swspped mine out for a higher rated battery and solved all power problems.

But...

"Up to 270,000 engine starts .."

That's only 10 starts/day for 70+ years - then what?? 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club