Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help and info

pudsey83

Hi

I am looking for info and a how to Guide as to how i go about changing the rear wheel bearing on my focus (W reg 2.0 zetec Disc on rear)

How do i remove the old old and what tools will i need to do it?

I have done wheel bearing on Vauxhall's (Old ones) but never on a ford.

ALL Info and help Greatfully recieved

Thanks

Al

the bearings are pressed in so if you want to diy it might be easier to get a new hub assembly the following may help

After the tire is removed, release the park brake. Support the car on jack stands. Remove four bolts from the rear of hub.

At this point you MAY have to loosen or remove the remove the hand brake cable. Either way the hub is ready to be removed. The front of the hub (with the lugs) and the bearing will come out and the back plate and brake shoes will remain in place.

Once you get it off, you may either purchase a hub assembly (which includes the hub with a new bearing in place ready-to-go) or take the existing hub and a replacement bearing to an auto machine shop which can easily remove the old bearing and install the new bearing. Using extreme care you can remove the old one using bearing pullers and prybars and replace the bearing using large deep sockets or a properly sized piece of steel pipe.

Put the hub back into the brake shoes. It may only line up one way. Finger tighten ALL FOUR of the bolts and then tighten. Replace the tire and remove the lifting equipment. Start slowly so the brakes can readjust!

the bearings are pressed in so if you want to diy it might be easier to get a new hub assembly the following may help

After the tire is removed, release the park brake. Support the car on jack stands. Remove four bolts from the rear of hub.

At this point you MAY have to loosen or remove the remove the hand brake cable. Either way the hub is ready to be removed. The front of the hub (with the lugs) and the bearing will come out and the back plate and brake shoes will remain in place.

Once you get it off, you may either purchase a hub assembly (which includes the hub with a new bearing in place ready-to-go) or take the existing hub and a replacement bearing to an auto machine shop which can easily remove the old bearing and install the new bearing. Using extreme care you can remove the old one using bearing pullers and prybars and replace the bearing using large deep sockets or a properly sized piece of steel pipe.

Put the hub back into the brake shoes. It may only line up one way. Finger tighten ALL FOUR of the bolts and then tighten. Replace the tire and remove the lifting equipment. Start slowly so the brakes can readjust!

Thats for rear drum brakes aint it fella. This guy states hes got discs on the rear

sorry miss read about the disc i think the bearings are still pressed into the hub so basically

it's wheel off, caliper off, disc off, ABS cable off, undo 4 bolts, old hub drops off.

then its up to you wheather you get a bearing pressed in or fit a new hub.

• 1 month later...

Hi I did my neighbours rear wheel bearing ,his I suspect was an older Focus . I'm sure this one was drums on the rear. The bearing I remember on that one was more like a front wheel bearing If I remeber it well. The type with a wide outer race inner and outer all in one piece . I did manage it without a press but Boy what a job. I think I ground the old outerv race a tad narrower and used it as a drift. Butchery I know .but I think we got away with it! Brummiebetz

Hi I did my neighbours rear wheel bearing ,his I suspect was an older Focus . I'm sure this one was drums on the rear. The bearing I remember on that one was more like a front wheel bearing If I remeber it well. The type with a wide outer race inner and outer all in one piece . I did manage it without a press but Boy what a job. I think I ground the old outerv race a tad narrower and used it as a drift. Butchery I know .but I think we got away with it! Brummiebetz

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club