Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption And Stiff Gears 1-2

rachuk1

Was just wondering if anyone can help :-)

I have just purchased the Ford Fiest Studio 1.25 59 plate, and am extremely worried I have just wasted my money........

The gears are tight when changing from 1-2, and fuel consumption is awful. I only got 170 miles from 3/4 of a tank of petrol.......... I used to have a 1.4 focus before....where the catalytic convertor had worn and I was getting better petrol usage in comparison to this :-)

If anyone can offer any advise....especially with the gears.....would be much help :-)

Rach

Do you have the service history of the car?

Maybe its due for a gearbox oil change, or it has had one, and they have used the wrong viscosity. How many miles has the car done?

Its only done 27,000 miles...and had a full service before I picked up the car last Saturday....its only the shift between gears 1 and 2...the rest seem to be fine :-)...needs a lot of muscle to shift ...I actually had a similar thing on my focus.....not sure what it could be for a youngish car :-)

Thanks for your reply :-)

Ford gearboxes are renowned for being "notchy". A lot stiffer than most cars, I personally like it, I hate the sloppy gearboxes you get in many french cars. I like to feel like the gear has actually gone in.

You could always get a Ford dealer or local mechanic, just to take a look i.e. not actually booked in. Any decent garage should be able to say if its normal or not without charging you.

I love the notchy gears :P good for quick shifts too.

As previously advised, see a mechanic and hopefully just an oil change.

It's rare to hear a criticism of a Ford gearchange. They have been known for being among the best since time began almost ! I suppose Alex is correct in that they have always been known for being very positive.unlike some 'Continental' makes. Ok, so most of the others have caught up. Rach, I should try driving some other Fiestas if you can to compare with yours. What is your actual mpg figure, do you know ?

Is the gearbox issue when going from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st?

If im doing above 10-15mph mine doesn't seem to let me put the car from anything into first gear, i assumed this was just by design though.

Is the gearbox issue when going from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st?

If im doing above 10-15mph mine doesn't seem to let me put the car from anything into first gear, i assumed this was just by design though.

Any gearbox *should* be like that.

Its to stop you damaging the engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club