Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus In Car Entertainment & Gadgets

sonic113

I had reverse wires in the boot area so dead easy for me :D but I noticed it stops the audio, even with out the camera it kicks in to reverse cam mode an kills the audio, there must be a switch somewhere

, I've had a wee look at the OS on the HU and found most of the software is in the form of DLLs which may be editable but I'm not holding my breath, I'll dump what I can on to an SD card and check it out on my computer, strangely I can't see the sdcard with music on it but I can see the GPS card OK,.

This kinda backs up what I heard about the hu being in two different parts, one for GPS one for the HU which we don't have access to, that would suck, but that doesn't explain the DLLs for various hu functions on this part sooo I'll keep looking

Looks great, thanks for the pics. Have you put the GPS in the left pillar down the side of the windscreen?

Have you got the Cam yet? Would like to see pics of how you wired this if that's OK?

How did you manage to get to the explorer window to view the files?

Cheers

Allister

• Like 1

Looks great, thanks for the pics. Have you put the GPS in the left pillar down the side of the windscreen?

Have you got the Cam yet? Would like to see pics of how you wired this if that's OK?

How did you manage to get to the explorer window to view the files?

Cheers

Allister

No Cam yet, I have the cables in waiting for it though.

Explorer, its actually a program called total commander, its on the same card as the navigation software, all you do is point the "navigation" path to this program instead.

Take the screws out of each handle and pull the panel off, prise a clip one at a time an comes off pretty easy

the new camera will replace one of the number plate lights

WP_20140927_023.jpg

Ive unwrapped some of my cabling here so you can see it better, the two thin blue wires are go from the reverse and the brake lights, ill be feeding the camera off the reverse light. The video feed follows those lines, at the moment you can see both wires terminated with blue plugs. When I put the camera in ill be poking holes through the grommet and connecting it all up on the dry side, 2 wires for video. 2 for the power

WP_20140927_025.jpg

The 3 wires (video / reverse / brake) run up the side of the hatch and comes out at the top, this panel just pulls off towards you, all the wires have to go through that rubber bendy thing, best way I found was to poke a straight piece of metal through and fish them back one at a time.

WP_20140927_026.jpg

at this point the reverse and brake lines go down to the boot area and connect up to the relivant wires, the video is to head forward to the HU

WP_20140927_028.jpg

I was going to try run the wire directly to the A pillar by fishing it to the rear dome first, turns out there is all sorts of crap up there that stops it, getting to the dome was easy, I then ran it to the door on the left, then following the existing wires ran to the front pillar. Taking that off was a pain in the !Removed! so whilst it was off I positioned the GPS receiver in there, ran a mic cable down from the front dome and of course the video cable. Pull the side of the glove box off (towards you)take the glove box out, then feed all the wires you need through to the HU. On the pics above you'll see a green RCA, that's your reverse input connector, plug it in there

WP_20140927_029.jpg

Great pics, thanks for the explanations. That helps a lot.

Where do you get the clips to hook into the reverse wiring without cutting and joining?

Cheers

Allister

Also not sure if you already said this previously but why hasn't the cam arrived yet? did you order the bundle from the US with the Cam or did you order it separately?

the connectors, just get them from Halfords, there called Scotch locks don't get them from the audio section, there more expensive, go to the tools section, youll find cheaper ones there that are exactly the same.

Ah, the cam was a bit of a !Removed! up, I didn't do enough homework, got one already but it wasn't for my focus. the only one I could find that was going to fit was from our good friends in China.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261548469538?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

That's the wrong one

This is the one that will fit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261141757833?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

School boy error, must remember to look harder next time!

can you remember what the FB coupon code is cant get it back up as had it once the other day?

I cant remember, it only saved you a couple of quid though, I just did a buy it now, figured id already wasted enough time on it so didn't want any hassle of counter offers etc,

For the codes, Try "unliking" your FB account to them, then open up an inprivate browser (with IE10) incognito (with Chrome), ake sure FB is logged out then load up the website again, you should get the codes

Found the code Its YoungEonon

Just ordered and submitted a offer for the camera on eBay.

Ordered the silver as I have the silver OEM one currently so hopefully should match well. Hopefully it will arrive next week some time as I have ordered it to my work address.

Cheers

Allister

mine was very quick, less then a week for the HU and all nicely wrapped.

Good luck with it, mind to take your time, getting all those wires in is a bit of a hassle and make sure that once the antenna is connected up you tape it down so it cant fall out, turns out my shocking reception on FM was down to the plug falling out as you try and position it in the dash

• Like 1

mine was very quick, less then a week for the HU and all nicely wrapped.

Good luck with it, mind to take your time, getting all those wires in is a bit of a hassle and make sure that once the antenna is connected up you tape it down so it cant fall out, turns out my shocking reception on FM was down to the plug falling out as you try and position it in the dash

Darren
Absolutely fantastic work on the install and the information on the unit. I should have mine ordered in the next cominh weeks at the moment some family situations are eating the cash lol! I cant wait to see if we can have a go at modding or editing the HU. There must be a way for eonon to install the firmware or software to the unit in the first place so there may be hope.
Is your radio reception ok now since you found out abut the loose plug?
Also I think the black looks pretty good of Im honest but it would be interesting to see the silver installed as well.
The screen looks pretty good in the pictures it must be half decent in real life. The Sat Nav looks the part as well and as I stated before its one of the main reasons I'm looking for one of these units.
Honestly I cant wait to get one ordered and installed. When you get your camera installed please do take a shot of the screen to show us how it looks.
Great work my friend. :)
  • Like 1

Thanks mate, I'll gets pics up of the camera when it arrives

The radio appears better, certainly at home, I need to go on a drive to check it out, AM is still a bit crap but who listens to that!

I tried using an inline booster, no good, its introducing noise, I think it would need to be isolated as you can hear it change with the engine on an off, lights etc. I've struggled to fined a good booster anywhere. But for now, in the drive ,FM is better

The screen is very good an can of course be adjusted, the only issue with the screen is glare, the angles are a bit too relaxed so you get glare off the passenger window ranging from visible but not detrimental, to direct sun can't see a thing. An anti glare screen protector should help nicely with that

As for modifying it, many of the resources are contained in special files, I believe I can segregate the backgrounds and add more but its not going to be easy, I'm not a programmer either so I couldn't make a program to do it. The other thing is its all in another language , there will be a way to flash it but more important is to dump the ROM and work out how to restore it if it goes wrong. I can kill the process that is giving us this ui, but then we would need to find a replacement ui as lets face it, CE is pretty crap

• Like 1

Yeah I see what you mean. But hopefully we can do some wee changes etc.

Have you tryed an anti glare Protector?

Yeah I see what you mean. But hopefully we can do some wee changes etc.

Have you tryed an anti glare Protector?

No not yet,I'll maybe get around to it later, I've not had any lasting progress with modding it though I do have software to flash it, I'm just extremely nervous as I still haven't found a way to back up or restore.

I think the Camera may take a while to be delivered lol from our friends in China.

15-25 days.... lol

Yeah, though sometimes ive had LEDs turn up in a little over a week so I guess it just depends...

Best thing ive discovered with stuff from China is the freebies! all my dome lights were free from various purchases. Its like Christmas, opening the box and not quite sure what to expect, which goes for the item ordered as well :)

Any luck with the Camera yet?

My tracking for the head unit hasn't updated since yesterday. Expected delivery date is Monday..... hurry up lol.

cant wait to get it in now.

Anything new to add since installing that you have found you like or dislike etc?

Cheers

Ali

Nope, nothing yet, I cant imagine it will arrive before the end of this week if im honest but we shall see

As for the HU, its all going well, the UI is actually pretty polished an works well, I looked at some alternatives but I don't think there is much to gain from changing it.

getting access to other programs is handy, it might even be possible to get ODB software running on it, The radio is still probably the weak point of the unit, it tracks a signal whilst on but when turned off it doesn't automatically scan to find the best signal, that's possible the biggest issue with it. I opted to just have the lights on all the time and didn't bother connecting it up to an always on 12v line. erratic behaviour seems to have stopped as well after I reset it. I still have this firmware update but im not sure I will bother,. an English UI for windows CE would be good but I don't think its worth the risk, im awaiting on the author of it to get back to me.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Head unit was fitted last night, still waiting for the camera to be delivered. All wired in and working, satnav etc is working and also managed to link up my S3 via the remote and use the wireless streaming to the unit from my phone.

I havent tested any phone calls yet.

Pain points so far are:

Satnav - Loads fine but how the hell do you just navigate to a post code. I may be being thick but cant work it out.

Clock - I seem to set the clock but then it changes to an hour earlier so its always out.

Any ideas, with the satnav i used the links Dee sent me, may have missed something when moving the files.

Ill get some pictures taken this lunch and try upload them.

Cheers guys

Allister

• Like 1

Hi mate, the time thing is to do with daylight saving hours, I cant remember off hand which way to fix it but I think I ended up disabling the auto timing via GPS and setting the clock manually.

Sav nav, ive nailed the satnav software, works perfect, post codes, new maps, the works. It took a bit of effort and isn't just a single link to download. We could get my setup sent to you, you just need to dump the contents as is on to an SD card and point the navigation software to it, whats your thoughts?

I could try and upload a torrent, never done that before so you'd need to hang on whilst I work it all out, or we could just directly send it.

EDIT: Course that isn't exactly legal, in fact its not legal at all so it'll all have to remain off the forum.!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club