Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Under Car

gazatthebop

Hi,

I have a T plate fiesta 1.25 zetec 5 door. I have started to get a noise underneath, a knocking which coincides with the tyre speed, as if a carpet gripped rod was stuck to one tyre. I have looked around all the tyres and they look fine. When I put the car in neutral whilst driving the noise does not disappear or change sound. The noise doesn't seem to happen in reverse but it could if I reversed at a higher speed.

any ideas?

cheers

is it coming from the front?

Maybe a stone wedged behind one of the front brake discs?

front, yes I think so but not 100%. Could a loose brake disc cause the knocking, slight play in the nearside where I think the noise is from, the disc play will disappear once the wheel is on?

Maybe take the front wheels off and spin the discs to check how much they are warped

Could also be a failing wheel bearing I suppose but I'd check the discs first

the discs don't look warped. The noise doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, I could be wrong, its like having a stone in your tread but instead of a click its more of a thump but not too low pitched...somewhere inbetween a click and a thump if that makes sense. Is there supposed to be play in the front brake disc when the wheel is removed?

This is not a problem that has been getting worse, I drove to work fine, on the way home it started as soon as I drove off.

Most discs have slight play when spun but should be fixed to the hub firmly

Maybe a dry CV joint clicking?

i'll check that out. I've had dry cv's before and it has not made this sound!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club