Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel/space Saver

Tomathee

Hello, couldn't find a similar thread in search but apols if this has been asked already.

I believe my car ('11 Focus) came with a regular/full size spare wheel, it has the foam bit around which seems to be the indicator for this. I'm interested in swapping it for a space saver, to save space, not so bothered about mpg difference but that would be a nice bonus. We have a baby and the associated everything-but-the-kitchen-sink to carry around and I wondered how much extra space I might gain from swapping the spare out, as it's a bit of a struggle especially with shopping or taking the extra bits for an overnight stay. Also if it is worthwhile/possible where is a good place to look for one? Trust eBay, stick to a Ford garage etc.

Thanks very much

hi,,, im not with you,, have you not taken the wheel out and checked its a full size wheel as thought the 2011 has a space saver like my 2012 does, unless the car was purchased with a full size spare by specifying this.

Also as regards to buying a space saver,, get it from where ever its cheapest for you.

If it is full size then you will get extra depth of around 90mm by changing to space saver,,

And here's me wanting a full size instead of the space saver

Pity OP doesn't live nearer we could have a swap meet :-)

Seriously, Tom I would double check that you don't already have a space saver. As Ian posted I think the Mark 3 comes with a space saver as standard. Full size would be an optional extra.

And here's me wanting a full size instead of the space saver

LOL, i was thinking the same thing :)

full size spare for me always its not till you drive on space saver, whichi did just to find out how the car behaved never again you take your life in your hands using this piece of crap

paul

Sorry guys it looks like it was a space saver after all. My bad I just lifted the carpet up the other day and assumed foam surround=full size, no foam=space saver.

Commence waving of the noob flag

As regards driving on a space saver,,, i had a front driver side flat and changed the back passanger side tyre for the space saver then mounted that full size wheel on the front where the flat was.
Passanger side rear just in case the smaller wheel (space saver) made the car pull to that side,,, pulling to the curb and not oncoming traffic.

Front wheel drive car so put the fill size on the front, this gives better traction and also better steering, then limped to ATS ;)

Got the tyre changed and made them put the wheels back on the origanal corners, check tracking and ballance.

Really hate space savers, they may get you home ok or to the nearest tyre dealer (if open) but if you're making a long trip then that's totally screwed (pun intended) up by something as simple as a nail/screw in the road. Having a full sized spare you'd be on your way again in 15 minutes, all the modern technology in cars for getting you to your destination in safety and comfort and they go and sling one of those useless things in the boot.

Course to save costs they take that a step further and make the default fitment a pump and goo kit which even if it does work then renders your tyre irreparable.

:angry:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club