Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Wind Deflectors For Mk7

josh.smith94

32 members have voted

1. 1. best wind delfectors

• Team heko
    • Climair

The wording on my policy states anything other than manufacturers standard equipment must be disclosed. The Heko's didn't add any extra to my policy it was only my xenon headlight bulbs that cost me extra.

Yeah you're probably right about disclosing everything, I'll do the same and hopefully won't be charged extra. My only mods are wind deflectors and bulbs (not xenons) so hopefully it will be no problem.

• Like 1

If you disclose every addition you have nothing to lose, if you don't, you may lose everything . . is it worth the risk ?

• Like 2

If you disclose every addition you have nothing to lose, if you don't, you may lose everything . . is it worth the risk ?

Exactly, even if they add £50 to the policy it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Far cheaper than a civil claim potentially running to millions for an uninsured loss & probable criminal charges.

I wonder what they'll say about my headlight bulbs though, they're Philips CrystalVisions so technically not road legal. I'm tempted to just say something like "I've upgraded the headlight bulbs so they give off a whiter light, but they aren't Xenons". If I actually say "they aren't road legal bulbs" could they say they can't insure me?

The wording on my policy states anything other than manufacturers standard equipment must be disclosed. The Heko's didn't add any extra to my policy it was only my xenon headlight bulbs that cost me extra.

Did they say anything to you about Xenons not being road legal? Maybe I have nothing to worry about if they just charge extra for Xenons, and mine are only halogens. Who is your insurer Dave?

All I would advise is to be honest with your insurer & sleep well.

Slightly going off topic about the Wind deflectors... but as we are yapping about insurance, I just wanted to point this out.

My renewal is due in May this year, so i've been shopping about. Adrian Flux came back with a quote, that was miles cheaper than anywhere else. This was with modifications declared (listed in my signature). They sent me the paperwork via email, and I had a very close look over it. I declared all the light changes (HID Kit and LED Bulbs throughout) they listed it as a "light cluster change" with the modification value as £0. Of course I did send them details listing all the exact prices I paid on the modifications (see attached). Also nowhere on the policy does it mention the "changed" front grilles (Chrome -> Honeycomb), maybe these don't need to be declared... just like these deflectors?

post-62796-0-71424800-1426768471_thumb.j

post-62796-0-35649100-1426768746_thumb.j

I wonder what they'll say about my headlight bulbs though, they're Philips CrystalVisions so technically not road legal. I'm tempted to just say something like "I've upgraded the headlight bulbs so they give off a whiter light, but they aren't Xenons". If I actually say "they aren't road legal bulbs" could they say they can't insure me?

Did they say anything to you about Xenons not being road legal? Maybe I have nothing to worry about if they just charge extra for Xenons, and mine are only halogens. Who is your insurer Dave?

They didn't ask for any details, I just told the 'xenons' and left it at that. Not a problem if they did ask, they are Ring Xenon Ultima's which are road legal anyway. My insurer is Hastings. .

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

They didn't ask for any details, I just told the 'xenons' and left it at that. Not a problem if they did ask, they are Ring Xenon Ultima's which are road legal anyway. My insurer is Hastings. .

We're a bit off topic I know but I thought any third party xenons are not road legal. Unless they have auto levelling, and don't they need to have a washer too, like OEM xenons?

We're a bit off topic I know but I thought any third party xenons are not road legal. Unless they have auto levelling, and don't they need to have a washer too, like OEM xenons?

These are road legal....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Xenon-Ultima-H7-Headlight-Bulbs-Pair-477-499-better-vision-120-RW1277/261740622065?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D4e1dd6ea2ade4eeb898b7f066f24b692%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D331162020009

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

We're a bit off topic I know but I thought any third party xenons are not road legal. Unless they have auto levelling, and don't they need to have a washer too, like OEM xenons???

I know what you are saying phil but how on earth can all these firms legally sell them in the UK ?

I know last year my local dealer called me and told me my car had failed its second MOT and i was shocked and asked why, he told me beacuae i had HID Kit fitted .i told him i had had no issues before at the same garage and he then explained it was a new MOT rule ,before it was an advisory and was changed to a failure ...

yes i love my HID Kit its the single best upgrade you can do on a mk 7 ST its sure a lot safer to drive out of town, and before anyone goes on about dazzleling people i had them setup on a large ford dealers machine after fitting them to make sure they was ok.the technician also made the comment that they are fine on a projector beam lamp only not the open type lamps.......

sorry off topic i know :D

I know what you are saying phil but how on earth can all these firms legally sell them in the UK ?

I know last year my local dealer called me and told me my car had failed its second MOT and i was shocked and asked why, he told me beacuae i had HID kit fitted .i told him i had had no issues before at the same garage and he then explained it was a new MOT rule ,before it was an advisory and was changed to a failure ...

yes i love my HID kit its the single best upgrade you can do on a mk 7 ST its sure a lot safer to drive out of town, and before anyone goes on about dazzleling people i had them setup on a large ford dealers machine after fitting them to make sure they was ok.the technician also made the comment that they are fine on a projector beam lamp only not the open type lamps.......

sorry off topic i know :D

Interesting.

I've had a HID Kit in my previous Clio. They had aftermarket headlights, with projector lenses. Car never failed the MoT on the HIDs. But it did fail on other small things.

Did your ST have the projector lenses, or not? I'm only asking because I've fitted a 6000K HID Kit, on my Titanium. Thankfully I do have the projector lens headlights. My first MoT will be due next March.

Interesting.

I've had a HID Kit in my previous Clio. They had aftermarket headlights, with projector lenses. Car never failed the MoT on the HIDs. But it did fail on other small things.

Did your ST have the projector lenses, or not? I'm only asking because I've fitted a 6000K HID kit, on my Titanium. Thankfully I do have the projector lens headlights. My first MoT will be due next March.

Hi Lee,it should fail the MOT even with projector beam headlamps im afraid. it only takes 10 mins to pop the lamps off and put some nice yellow candle power halogens back in before you take it for its MOT. :D

Hi Lee,it should fail the MOT even with projector beam headlamps im afraid. it only takes 10 mins to pop the lamps off and put some nice yellow candle power halogens back in before you take it for its MOT. :D

found this :Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's

intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure –

applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop

lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so

car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A

car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is

missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

these changes came in late 2012.

• Like 1

Thank you kind Sir.

it was quite funny last year ,after the dealer called me i nipped there popped in some halogens and they passed it,he even said i bet you put the HIDs back in before you leave here i just smiled at him . :D :D

that was not on the ST it was a mazda.still had projector beam lamps though.

the lights on the ST are very good with a decent HID Kit fitted not a cheapo eBay rubbish .

it was quite funny last year ,after the dealer called me i nipped there popped in some halogens and they passed it,he even said i bet you put the HIDs back in before you leave here i just smiled at him . :D :D

that was not on the ST it was a mazda.still had projector beam lamps though.

the lights on the ST are very good with a decent HID kit fitted not a cheapo ebay rubbish .

Definitely will pop the standard bulbs back in then prior to the first MoT. Saves the hassle of the dreaded phone call saying, "Sorry, it's failed the MoT!"

• Like 1

We should change this to the "which wind deflectors and HIDs thread" lol.

I sorted my insurance with AXA, told them about the wind deflectors and they weren't bothered. As for the headlights, they said something like "the bulbs need to meet legal requirements" which is kind of what I was expecting them to say. If I can find any decent road legal bulbs to replace my CrystalVisions I will, but I wonder how insurance works with all these cars going around with similar bulbs and especially HIDs, which aren't technically insurable...

In reality I don't think we'll have any problem though, unless the headlights contribute to an accident I don't see why they would affect a claim. Wind deflectors on the other hand, after using them today I can see they cause big blind spots especially when the sun goes down. I like them though, and I think the advantages of having them might outweigh the disadvantages.

Definitely will pop the standard bulbs back in then prior to the first MoT. Saves the hassle of the dreaded phone call saying, "Sorry, it's failed the MoT!"

I'll just put the standard bulbs in the glove box in case that happens to me, but won't have the first MOT for over 2 years :)

whole on the subject of factory hid headlamps been offered set from 07 focus st can they be fitted to 05 c-max

I'll just put the standard bulbs in the glove box in case that happens to me, but won't have the first MOT for over 2 years :)

:D :D

I like them though, and I think the advantages of having them might outweigh the disadvantages.

I'm still undecided on if I should get some wind deflectors. :wacko:

awaiting mine to turn up should be monday i hope.

whole on the subject of factory hid headlamps been offered set from 07 focus st can they be fitted to 05 c-max

i could not say on that one im afraid..

At least they can be removed, but I'm going to keep mine on for at least a few more days before I decide whether to keep them.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that they are great at doing what they were designed for, which is to deflect air lol. I had the windows open a couple of inches below the deflectors, and even at almost 70 I could only feel the slightest breeze on the side of my head. I think they could do with more than 2 clips though, because I noticed they seem to be a bit loose, moving noticeably when the windows open and close.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club